Audio mixer via usb adapter VS usb interface

mis_uszatek

Hi everyone,

After reading few posts here, I am sure someone will be able to help me!

I play electric guitar and would like to record some stuff using Ableton (tracks and with effects).
I have got Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer connected via line in to my comp at the moment.

And some questions:

1 .Can I connect the mixer to my comp via usb adapter (stereo RCA to USB)? Would it work any better?

2. What difference would there be compared to a designated usb interface (kind of Focusrite, Presonus, etc.)?

Thank you for your patience and understanding, if my questions are silly....

Mich

Hi,
I'm going to move this into the digital recording/computers section.
This section is for feedback about the forum. :eek:

Hi everyone,

After reading few posts here, I am sure someone will be able to help me!

I play electric guitar and would like to record some stuff using Ableton (tracks and with effects).
I have got Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer connected via line in to my comp at the moment.

And some questions:

1 .Can I connect the mixer to my comp via usb adapter (stereo RCA to USB)? Would it work any better?

2. What difference would there be compared to a designated usb interface (kind of Focusrite, Presonus, etc.)?

Thank you for your patience and understanding, if my questions are silly....

Mich

1: I don't have direct experience with the cheap twin RCA-USB units, but I've seen a few good guys around here recommending them over a computer's line input.
Keep in mind, though, the inputs are unbalanced, so you do run the risk of picking up noise in your cables.

2: I doubt either setup would really compare with something from focusrite, for example.
That'd give you a nicer preamp, I guess, decent drivers, good latency, balanced I/O, plus the extra connectivity and what not.

If you're even semi serious I'd look at a nice all-in-one interface. :)

Back