Audio interface for windows laptop

Kipper

I'm in the market for an audio interface for my laptop and I am wondering if my computer (all of 4 years old) is too antiquated to use something that's worth buying.

Computer:
A Dell Inspiron (so I can't use MBox) 4000
running Windows ME (it's old, but I'm not interested in upgrading.)
128 mb of RAM (this I could see myself boosting up)
10GB C:Drive and an 80GB external hard drive that uses a firewire card bus.
The crappy soundcard that comes with the system.
A USB 1.0 port
One free Firewire port
No more card ports.
No editing software whatsoever.
A cdrw that is yet to be purchaced.

What I want:
To record at least two channels simultaneously,
Phantom power for condensor mics,
Ability to make for-fun cds for myself, family
To spend 1000ish bucks by the time the whole project is finished (that means 500ish on the interface)
LOW MAINTAINCE recording system that, once in place, I can continue to use for 5+ years without having to dump a lot more money into just to make it go.

I have read A LOT of related threads, but I can't get a lock-down on what will work for me. Right now, the M-Audio Duo seems like my best, maybe only, choice. I am very tempted to give up the computer-based system and get a Boss BR864 stand-alone which I know will work for what I want. I live in Rome, Italy and some of the coolest equipment is here, but most people (store clerks) don't know what it does, making browsing somewhat fruitless.

And if that's not needy enough, here's my total newbie question: If I have an audio interface and an editing program, do I still need a (better) soundcard?

Whew. If you've read this far, I'd love some input on which interface you'd suggest or if you'd reccomend just going to a stand-alone.

Thanks a ton (that includes authours of all the threads I've puroused, tool,) Kipper

Hi Kipper,

I probably shouldn't be even trying to answer this, but I know a couple of answers...

The audio interface IS your soundcard basically. You don't need to buy another, in my estimation of things, so once you get the MAudio or whatever you choose, you're done.

I don't know if that duo comes with phantom power, but there should be a box out there that comes with it. My guess is that it would, if there are XLR inputs on the duo.

If you're not running anything that is too taxing on your system, i.e. lots of effects or virtual instruments, you may be okay with that 128 mb of ram for now, also. I had no real problems with my old HP that had 128mb of ram, and that was with up to 8 tracks for me at any one time, some with effects, some not. I am guessing I could have pushed it more even, but I wouldn't put a ton of faith in that statement.

I would say, the interface, and editing program will have you well on your way, until you decide to upgrad again, and you WILL. :)

However, the next guy on here may dispel everything I've mentioned in this post. And, I'd believe him over me. Hee hee.

As for the stand alone, I've only used a computer, so I'm out of that one. Some folks may encourage you to go this way before computer...I just wouldn't know enough about that.
Good luck,
Kirstin

Thanks Kristin,
I appreciate the thoughts. I think that my delima is a common one and I just haven't tipped the balance enough in one direction or the other to take the leap.
Kip

i had the maudio-duo and i liked the way it sounded, but the usb was not rock solid and it hisssed up on me while i was recording.

i sold it and got the tascam us-428. the 428 doesn't have phantom power, so you'll need an external pre-amp, but it is a physical mixer for your virtual tracks. i love it. i've got a dell inspiron 8500 and it just works solid.

i'd be willing to take a look at Edirol (a division of roland) there stuff always seems to work well.

thanks

Thanks. I really want to avoid a preamp just to keep my desk less cluttered (Lord knows I don't need more wires and junk!), but it's looking like a popular choice. I'll check out the edinrol.
Kip

Edirol

HMM...I checked out the Edirol uv5 and it looks pretty keen. I like the fact that it's a Roland division. Thanks for the info!

Back