Audio Interface USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0__How Important Is This?

nervx

Hi -- OK, so I've been reading through all the info here (and posted a couple questions), and at tweakheadz, and anywhere else I can find info to read....but I'm still a bit confused about how important USB speed is, as far as 1.1 compares to 2.0, when it comes to connecting audio interfaces.

The reason I'm confused, is that many people recommended 1.1 devices to me.....and I'm wondering....if USB speed really matters, why would people recommend 1.1 devices over 2.0? DOES it matter? Will latency be affected? I only need to send two tracks at a time....will this be an issue?

I noticed that some 1.1 interfaces claim to "fully support USB 2.0"....like for example, the Lexicon Lambda (found that info in the manual). I thought the wording seemed odd.....why not say it IS a 2.0 device?....so I called Lexicon and asked them. They gave me the same line, "fully supports USB 2.0 yada yada".....I then asked, "so does this mean it actually sends info at 1.1 speed?" The answer, after a pause, was, "yes". Aha! So....yeah, you can hook it up to either, but it's only going to send at the slower speed. Deceptive! Am I onto something here?

All that said, do I need to concern myself with the USB speed on the audio interface? Or is it "no biggy"? As a refresher, I have a PC running Win XP service pack II, athlon 2200 processor, 1 gig hardrive, USB...no firewire, useless ancient soundcard. Will be using m-audio keyrig49 and likely Reaper.

I'm also considering going with internal soundcard, or maybe installing firewire card and going that way. I'm going to post seperately about that dilemna. Trying to find lowest cost solution, for decent demos.

Thanks!

You want a 2.0. 1.1 may work, but you can easily run into problems. Look into the Presonus Audiobox. I use it and love it and have had no problems with it. If you decide to go the firewire route, make sure you get a card with a TI (Texas instruments) chip as they are generally more stable with audio gear.

Hi 12milluz -- Thanks much for your input! The unit you mentioned was on my short list, however, although I know it's "supports" 2.0 connectivity....I could not confirm that it's actually a USB 2.0 unit (still can't find any info that actually states this). Am I missing something?

Thanks again! :-)

Hi again.

Your box is 1.0 or 1.1. 2.0 is relatively recent. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1, it's just faster.

Luck.

Back