Audio Interface ? Tascam USB-122

velvetomatoe

Hey everybody, I recently purchased a new computer as my old one was on the way out and I've come to the sorrowful realization that my MAudio card will not fit into the new computer. So faced with this I'm looking into the Tascam USB-122 as a solution to route into the computer externally. I have a few questions:

1) Will I still be able to run via mixer into the USB then into the DAW?
2) Will i be able to monitor via the mixer headphone jack?
3) What is the overall quality of this purchase?
4) Are there any other better solutions to my problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

~Kevin~

velvetomatoe said:
1) Will I still be able to run via mixer into the USB then into the DAW?
Yes, but you will have to submix it down to two channels, as the US-122 can only record 2 channels of audio simultaneously.

2) Will i be able to monitor via the mixer headphone jack?
You should be able to, if you send the outs from the 122 back to the mixer on an empty channel. Or, you can monitor from the headphone jack on the 122 (a better option for real-time monitoring).

3) What is the overall quality of this purchase?
For the money, it's fine. If you need more inputs, look into FireWire interfaces.

4) Are there any other better solutions to my problem?
There are many "better" soundcards, but they all cost a lot more money. For $169, the US-122 does a decent job.

Thanks. I appreciate the quick and informative response. I'll have to do some further research, my problem is I got one of those Dell Dimension Desktops and it seems too small to fit a normal soundcard. Any suggestions? I would like to do multitrack recording with a few different mics but I don't know what the solution to this is. Any help would be really appreciated.

~Kevin~

Back