Audio Interface selection help

I think yes.
AFAICT say you want to put FX on an existing track, say track one?

Route that from say OP3 on the KA6 and feed to a line input on the Yammy. The signal can be sent via FX send pot to the FX section and the "effected" signal goes back onto the main stereo bus and comes out of Stereo outs. That goes to say input 4 on the KA6 and can be recorded.

This will all take a bit of plugging around and an amount of cuteness with the DAW's routing but remember, no matter how you plug things up or what crazy system you want to try you will not damage either mixer or the KA6.

(this is one reason I always tell peeps NOT to sell off wee mixers. ALWAYS handy as a headphone amp, talkback system, even a doorstop! You would get FA for it anyway. )

Dave.

Thank you! I see exactly what you are saying. Does "line input" on everything mean levels are something higher than a mic level meaning line inputs are assuming you have already ran mics through a preamp? On this particular mixer channels 1-6 (1 and 2 mono while 3/4 5/6 stereo) do these channels all have a preamp on them? Or just the 1 and 2? Also do the line inputs bypass the preamp? I know I have kind of hijacked my own thread but thank you for your patience.

Thank you! I see exactly what you are saying. Does "line input" on everything mean levels are something higher than a mic level meaning line inputs are assuming you have already ran mics through a preamp? On this particular mixer channels 1-6 (1 and 2 mono while 3/4 5/6 stereo) do these channels all have a preamp on them? Or just the 1 and 2? Also do the line inputs bypass the preamp? I know I have kind of hijacked my own thread but thank you for your patience.

Er? Yes! "line level" is some 20-30dB higher than "mic" level. In fact line level is to some extent defined at +4dBu whereas 'mic' level has no such figure and "Instrument" level is somewhere in between! Saying that I bet there are a few 'pro' keyboards that chuck out +4dBu with 20dB headroom!

Suckit and see, as I say, there will be no smoke! (might be distortion, might be hum and if you were very unclever, might be instability so keep final faders at min' and advance them slowly) .

No, the line inputs on the mic channels do not bypass the mic pres but then this is standard practice on near 100% of budget and not so budget mixers and AIs. I and others here have gone into this matter ad.n. There is really no problem. Remember, a 'line' source had to come from somewhere, usually a 'noisy' mic amp or a shronky keyboard or guitar amp!

If it REALLY worries you there are inserts but you will need to makeup/buy special TRS to 2XTS cables.

Dave.

Back