Audio Interface Recommendation Wanted

pb69

I would like a firewire or usb interface with 2 good mic preamps, at least 4 separate line inputs and a couple of line outputs (for external effects).
I have a Mac Pro 5,1.
My budget is under $800.

I would like a firewire or usb interface with 2 good mic preamps, at least 4 separate line inputs and a couple of line outputs (for external effects).
I have a Mac Pro 5,1.
My budget is under $800.

The 'four SEPARATE line inputs' is the fly in the emolument there. I know of nothing OTTOMH that qualifies. My fave NI KA6 has 2 mic/line/instru ins and 2 more balanced line ins plus 4 outs but that is not as per your specc'. I think you are going to have to go for an interface with multiple mic/line inputs e.g. the Tascam US-16 08.

$800 is a healthy budget and in THIS instance you might like to look at USB* mixers? They have come on famously in the last years for sound quality as AIs.

*FWire is dead. Modern AIs are USB 2.0, a few, very few USB 3.0 and top end stuff TB. FW could leave you with a device that cannot be repaired, or have driver or firmware updates.

Dave.

The Steinberg UR824, Focusrite 18i20, and Presonus 1818VSL all have 8 inputs that are the combo inputs that will take an XLR or a 1/4" cord. All of them are under your budget. The Presonus Studio 192 is USB3, but it's $100 over your budget.

Back