Audio Interface for PC (MIC VO)

DanjiNexus

I own a DBX 286s (audio preamp and compressor.) I use a Zoom H4n to record audio SD cards but the signal comes in hot almost always. The H4n is crap, but that's not what's important right now.

I need an audio interface that will take the XLR or TRS out from the DBX into the computer so I can use it for livestreams. The H4n has a USB mode but it's basically worthless.

I would like something with a low noise floor. Nothing fancy necessary, just taking in 1 XLR in via USB or whatever. I looked at the cheaper options the other day and all the reviews kept bringing up high noise floors and that has me worried. This DBX is really nice, and having the H4n (or a new audio interface) tarnish the audio quality out of it when hooked up to my NT2a is annoying.

Thank you all for your help.

Dan,
I use a cheap Lexicon Alpha for my DBX 286A and Symetrix 528E. It gets the job done.
Dale

I don't often suggest the bottom feeder F'rites but I see that DBX pre has a +21dBu output and that is well beyond the line input range of most budget AIs (generally around +12 to +16dBu) and I would guess you want to run the preamp at its "sweet spot"?

The 2i4 has pad switches on the front panel and a max line input of +26dBu. However, you might still find the optimum gain staging is better done with some attenuators twixt pre and AI?

Dave.

Another happy user of the H4n here. Agree with what Alan said.

You'll be pushing the mic through the DBX286 and then into the "line" input of an interface. The interface shouldn't need a butt load of gain with the 286s in front of it, so you shouldn't be pushing up the gain of an interface which could conceivably bring up the noise floor.

Another happy user of the H4n here. Agree with what Alan said.

You'll be pushing the mic through the DBX286 and then into the "line" input of an interface. The interface shouldn't need a butt load of gain with the 286s in front of it, so you shouldn't be pushing up the gain of an interface which could conceivably bring up the noise floor.

Ooo! Ooo! Just checked the speccs of the H4n and the line in is basically at NEG TEN! OP needs some serious attenuation twixt pre out and recorder if of the former is gong to operate at anything like the "pro" OP level it is capable of.

TBH with suitable attenuation even my Berry UCA 202 would serve pretty well since I doubt the mic/room combination gets anywhere near a -80dFS noise floor?

Dave.

Would the qualitative divide between the Behringer UCA 202 and 2i4 be tangible? I'm willing to spend the extra money for a noticeable difference but I'd rather not overspend.

I will definitely get some attenuation for the H4n, but the USB mode is still completely useless. It auto-compresses with no ability to turn it off. Useless and more damaging to audio quality than anything.

H4n is -10db? I didn't realize. So then I need -36db total to compensate for the +26db from the DBX? Would the best thing be to get a -40db attenuators and use that or is there a more precise method? The excess -4db wouldn't impact dynamic range too terribly much afaik.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I still think that since the H4n's preamp is really bad and the DC power adds noise to the recording (afaik, I use batteries) AND the USB mode might as well not be there, I hate the thing. I've had it for 6 years and it's frustrating how inadequate it is compared to other portable recorders.

Would the qualitative divide between the Behringer UCA 202 and 2i4 be tangible? I'm willing to spend the extra money for a noticeable difference but I'd rather not overspend.

I will definitely get some attenuation for the H4n, but the USB mode is still completely useless. It auto-compresses with no ability to turn it off. Useless and more damaging to audio quality than anything.

H4n is -10db? I didn't realize. So then I need -36db total to compensate for the +26db from the DBX? Would the best thing be to get a -40db attenuators and use that or is there a more precise method? The excess -4db wouldn't impact dynamic range too terribly much afaik.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I still think that since the H4n's preamp is really bad and the DC power adds noise to the recording (afaik, I use batteries) AND the USB mode might as well not be there, I hate the thing. I've had it for 6 years and it's frustrating how inadequate it is compared to other portable recorders.

My mention of the UCA 202 was really a "sublime to ridiculous" example! Having said that, I don't consider the 2i4 sublime nor the 202 THAT bad! The wee Berry is only 16 bit OP and so the noise floor is limited, but as I said, I doubt your pre amp+mic+room is better?

From the limited specc' I can find for the H4n it is around -10dB input levels so if you wanted +4dBu from the DBX to give -18dBFS you would need around 13dB of attenuation. Of course, if you want to run even hotter 20dB would be in order. Is the H4n unbalanced in? (can't be A'ed to look!) if so, 10k stereo pot in a tin at the H4n end. This is a bit heretical but, if you HAD a VC in a tin you could go straight into the input jack of the PC's soundcard!

But, everything considered the 2i4 looks favourite especially since it has the pads and you might want to run the beans off the pre amp.

Dave.

Back