Audio interface; which one?

This one?
M-Audio MobilePre mk II: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Or this one?
PreSonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB Recording System: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Both seem very similar. Same price basically. Don't need professional grade stuff. And I know nothing about most of this stuff. So I came to the experts!

I've never liked M-Audio, and use a Presonus myself right now, so I'm very biased. =P But there are tons more than just those two to choose from.

My best guess is that they'll be pretty much the same. I use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but only because in my twisted logic, I need analog inserts or an 'FX Loop'. I also have the Tascam US122, again, simply because it has inserts. They sound remarkably similar, although they are 'installed' on two completely different computers. The end result is neither sticks out for how bad it sounds, and you won't likely find anything that truly 'sucks'. They're cheap enough that you can likely find a used one for under $100 and if you don't like it yourself, flip it and try the other. Or, if you have a store policy like I do where I shop, I can try one and decide if I want to keep it. It's 7 days for a straight exchange, so I can swap between a few interfaces if I choose. And this includes used gear, so I never feel like I can go completely wrong.

I have an M-Audio card, and have ALWAYS had driver stability issues with it. I'd lean towards the presonus, based on that.

But check reviews of both! See which one gets more praise :p

I have an M-Audio card, and have ALWAYS had driver stability issues with it. I'd lean towards the presonus, based on that.

But check reviews of both! See which one gets more praise :p

Presonus, in my experience, is no different. Of course, these issues invariably depend on your specific system configuration and hardware, etc, so it's difficult to make a call as to what drivers are better or not.

Hopefully in the latest versions of their interfaces they have resolved problems that plagued their drivers in the past.

Cheers :)

Back