Audio interface, new soundcard or usb mixer ?

rico.unger

Hi guys,

I've been doing recently some research into audio interfaces, mixers, etc etc and I have to say that now I understand more or less how the stuff works. I'd like your help and opinion on some things though.

So, my problem is that I'd like to record some of my stuff with better quality (voice, acoustic guitar, e-guitar, keyboard, nothing fancy). Up to now I've only used a cheap microphone plugged into my standard soundcard.
I've been analyzing 3 options lately :

Get an audio interface, get a mixer, get a usb/firewire mixer.

It seems that getting just a normal mixer wouldn't help me, since my soundcard is a standard one. I'd need to buy a mixer and a new soundcard then and since I'm running on a tight budget, this wouldn't be
feasible.

So I either get an audio interface or a usb mixer, which bypasses the soundcard (right ?). I was thinking about these mixers : Alesis MultiMix 8 USB Mixer with USB Audio and Behringer XENYX 1204FX Mixer with Effects. Here in Switzerland both cost 300 USD ! Incredible how I get ripped off here...

The audio interfaces cost a bit less, around 260 dollars for the Tascam US-144 for example. Anyway I'd still need to get a microphone and cables.....

Since all of them are around the same price, I'm really having a hard time choosing between them. I'm using XP 32 and Vista 64, so I guess XP 32 should handle any of them fine. Eventually I could use it
with Vista 32 too, as far as my preference is concerned, it doesn't matter at all.

I'd like to know your opinion, as the prices are really close to each other and I'm not that much experienced with it. Perhaps should I get an even cheaper interface/usb mixer ? as I will for sure
only record voice and keyboard/guitar at the same time ? Anyway, I'm confused, hope you guys can help me !

Thanks !

Rico

Bypassing your built-in soundcard is definitely what you want to do. An audio interface replaces your soundcard.

If you only need a few tracks at once, then the Tascam USB interface looks like a good choice. If you eventually would like to record 8 tracks or more at the same time, you ought to look at Firewire or PCI(e)/ExpressCard interfaces.

Back