Audio Interface...MIDI

TheFraz

Hello,
First off I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in "MIDI Mania," so if I got it wrong, please move it to the proper category and I'm sorry about that.

Alright, so for years I have had trouble with determining what's wrong and what I should do as far as this goes.
I work with a lot of real instruments (drums, guitar, bass, etc) but am mainly a composer and work with MIDI using VST instruments. I am able to add about 50 tracks before the computer can't handle it anymore.
The thing is, usually my RAM/Physical Memory will get to around 70% and it will glitch by crackling and stopping and starting while recording or listening back. I've noticed that more ram helped it, but not much (I went from 8GB to 12GB).
I currently use asio4all because it has the least latency. However, when my project gets pretty full (like I said, around 50 tracks), it will start glitching until I higher that latency.
The problem is I'm not sure if having an audio interface or sound card would help out a lot. I have no sound card or anything except for what is in the computer.

Computer specs if needed:
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
Processor: Intel Core i7
Ram: 12 GB (soon upgrading to 16GB)

I hope I didn't make this too confusing.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also meant to mention that I use Ableton. Although I have had this problem in Cubase before too.

What's the drive set up of your computer, how fast does it/they spin, where do you have your VSTis in your drive structure and what sort of VSTis are they?

A real audio interface using a real driver and not ASIO4ALL will help you with latency while recording but it sounds more like your glitches are being caused by system playback, not recording.

Have you done any "optimisation" of the OS to strip it back and stop it interfering with playback and recording?

What's the drive set up of your computer, how fast does it/they spin, where do you have your VSTis in your drive structure and what sort of VSTis are they?

A real audio interface using a real driver and not ASIO4ALL will help you with latency while recording but it sounds more like your glitches are being caused by system playback, not recording.

Have you done any "optimisation" of the OS to strip it back and stop it interfering with playback and recording?

I am not sure, but I am almost positive they (one internal and one external) are is 7200 RPM. It's been a while since I bought it, and I didn't really pay attention to that since I needed one urgent at the time.
I use the internal one for my programs and all, and the external for the libraries of the VSTs.
The main VST I use is Kontakt and have the libraries (CineBrass, Stormdrum, etc). Most libraries are pretty powerful and have a whole lot of samples, though. So that's why it's a little confusing. I'm not sure if getting this soundcard/audio interface would help with this, or if I really need even more than 12 gigs of ram, and if that would even help that much.

I do notice though that different drivers take more and less ram depending on which ones they are. Asio4all is just the only one that doesn't have too much latency.
I haven't done any optimization to the OS (Windows 7 64 bit, I should have mentioned as well).

Thanks for the reply.

Back