Audio Interface OR Mic Pre...?

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
Ok Guys... I just got my New PC up and running ...

P4 3 Ghz CPU
1 Gb Ram
250 Gb Hdd...

... I have a Roland VS880 Multitracker which can record 4 mics simultaneously ..Only problem is ...it doesn't have phantom power... so in order to record condenser mics i have to go through a mixer / mic pre first ... which i do not have

The multitracker has SPDIF in an out on it ...

So i am faced with this dilema ... Should i buy an expensive firewire audio interface that i could use with both my PC and laptop

....OR ....

Should i just buy a very inexpensive audio interface and a few mic pre's and continue to use my multitracker and transfer the tracks to my PC through SPDIF ...

i was thinking that if i bought an inexpensive audio interface like the M-Audio Audiophile then i could use a DMP3 with the multitracker... and then transfer the tracks to my PC through SPDIF ...

OR should i just save up and buy something like the Mackie 400 F which i REALLY REALLY want .... actually i lie i really want the RME Fireface ...but i am not made of money....

so help me out ....Expensive Audio Interface OR Audiophile plus a DMP3

Thanks in advance :)

Is the Roland multitracker brand new?

I would spent the money on a good soundcard and recorded straight to the computer.

But to answer your question, yes. :)

I second the Firebox/firepod. There have been more and more of these kind of things on the market lately, by Lexicon, Mackie, M-Audio and more. Look into those.

I would go for computer recording aswell. The level of control you get is almost to have wet dreams about (in the beginning at least ;))

Back