Audio Interface for a Mac Laptop

A1A2

hello,

I had my mind set on the MBox to go with my new powerbook and figured it would be a good interface for my PC desktop and Mac laptop. However, after doing some search here, USB interfaces appear to be troublesome, and plus MBox doesn't have MIDI in/out, which can come in handy from time to time for me.

So, I began looking at the MAudio 410, a firewire solution that covers my needs (2 pres, MIDI capability, and cross-platform) But then I'm reading some issues with the 410 being picky about the fw chip..arrgh...(my powerbook has fw 400+800 IEEE 1394a)

Can someone please give me a suggestion just which one of the 2 fu*ks up less? Or if you recommend something else alone the prices of the 2 units above, please do so.

Al

brzilian said:
The M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is $100 cheaper than the FW410.
yeah, but since I need a compact portable rig, I was looking for a card with MIDI and pres, too.

Al

A1A2 said:
yeah, but since I need a compact portable rig, I was looking for a card with MIDI and pres, too.

Al

The Audiophile has MIDI. If you add an Audiobuddy preamp, you're still $50 cheaper than the 410.

Check out the Presonus Firestation. It's Firewire with preamps, analog I/O, MIDI and ADAT I/O. You can get it on the street for about $450. Much more flexibility.

jabulani jonny said:
Check out the Presonus Firestation. It's Firewire with preamps, analog I/O, MIDI and ADAT I/O. You can get it on the street for about $450. Much more flexibility.

I've actually looked at that unit, however, it's got more pres than I need at the moment, and it's a little over my budget (looking for something around 3-400 used right now)

Thanks tho
Al

Back