Audio interface + Headphones help

Joseph Whittle

Hi guys

Advice needed. I bought some DT880 headphones (32 ohm version). Even at 32 my old Roland UA25 USB interface can't power them. So my question is:

- any recommendations for a powered headphone amp?

OR

- Given that the interface will need updating when I buy a new computer (its not compatible with W10 as far as I know), any recommendations for an interface that also powers headphones?

Only thing I'd say is I'm a hobbyist, so please no "this kit is good, costs 2 grand" recommendations

Cheers!

Joseph

Hi guys

Advice needed. I bought some DT880 headphones (32 ohm version). Even at 32 my old Roland UA25 USB interface can't power them. So my question is:

OR

- Given that the interface will need updating when I buy a new computer (its not compatible with W10 as far as I know), any recommendations for an interface that also powers headphones?

Only thing I'd say is I'm a hobbyist, so please no "this kit is good, costs 2 grand" recommendations

Cheers!

Joseph

Hi Joseph and welcome! When you say the UA25 'can't power them' do you mean they don't have enough level for your needs or that they don't work at all? I shall assume the former.

The DT880s are on the low sensitivity side at 96dB SPL for 1mW but that translates to only 0.178 volts rms so either something is broken or you are deaf! (my AKG K92s have a 113dB/mW sensitivity and I AM deaf but they give me all I need at 37% out of this HP laptop) . But, there IS an operational problem with headphones and AIs...

We know we should be tracking at -18dBFS? Good. Trouble is, a track at neg 18 is a bit low on cans and very often there is no more gain in the system to boost the level. N.B. This is a lack of GAIN not power!

Solution? An external headphone amplifier. I have the Behringer HA400 and for £30 or so I cannot fault it. Feeds 4 sets of cans with individual level pots AND gives a bit of gain solving the AI cans conundrum.

As for touting $1000+ esoterics? Not this lil' indian. Has its place of course but around $75 per mic input as a ballpark costing will get you ALL the quality you are ever likely to need or be able to use. Reccies' are, in ascending cost. Alesis i02 Express, Steinberg UR22, Focursrite 214 (gen ll and NOT the 2i2) Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (my top reccy) For more mic inputs/tracks the Tascams come into their own.

ALL the above will benefit from a HP amp.

Dave.

Hi Joseph and welcome!

Hi! And thanks!

When you say the UA25 'can't power them' do you mean they don't have enough level for your needs or that they don't work at all? I shall assume the former.

The DT880s are on the low sensitivity side at 96dB SPL for 1mW but that translates to only 0.178 volts rms so either something is broken or you are deaf! (my AKG K92s have a 113dB/mW sensitivity and I AM deaf but they give me all I need at 37% out of this HP laptop) . But, there IS an operational problem with headphones and AIs...

We know we should be tracking at -18dBFS? Good. Trouble is, a track at neg 18 is a bit low on cans and very often there is no more gain in the system to boost the level. N.B. This is a lack of GAIN not power!

Yes, there is sound but it's pretty weak, and the interface volume is turned up to maximum. Which cannot be right. I admit that I tried the headphones out during the early stages of a track, so things are on the quiet side, but it still seemed as if they just weren't getting enough power.

Solution? An external headphone amplifier. I have the Behringer HA400 and for £30 or so I cannot fault it. Feeds 4 sets of cans with individual level pots AND gives a bit of gain solving the AI cans conundrum. .

Yes, thats the one I was looking at.

So questions: do I still need an amp if I buy a mains-powered audio interface? And - if I do have both an interface and an amp, what runs through what - does the amp plug into the phones socket in the interface?

Thanks for the help on this. I'm not new to production but am new to general out-of-the-box stuff, and it's weirdly hard to find definitive answers on this sort of thing online.

J

"So questions: do I still need an amp if I buy a mains-powered audio interface? And - if I do have both an interface and an amp, what runs through what - does the amp plug into the phones socket in the interface?"
I don't of course have experience of many AIs Joseph but one of the most popular 'mains powered' (well, rat powered!) was the Tascam US-1614 and that had notoriously wimpy headphone amps I an told.
My Focusrite 8i6 does not, iirc sound any louder than my totally USB bus powered NI KA6 and the former runs from a 12V rat. As I say, it is not power, miiliwatts that are lacking, it is voltage gain.

I very much doubt the Beyers are faulty but how do they sound plugged into Laptop? Do that and play a rock CD and you should have stacks of level.
If they do not blow socks off, measure the resistance of the phones with a digital multimeter*. From common, sleeve to tip and ring both circuits should read close to 32 Ohms.

The HA400 is pretty cheap but sounds ok to me (likely AS good as most AI cans amps and rather better than those in 'putters!) Apart from its use as a booster (yes, just a stereo jack cable from H/P out to HA in but you can also drive them from almost any other source) the multiple outputs and controls make it very useful if you have mates in to jam.

*If you don't already HAVE a DMM. Get one! I really don't know HTF musical peeps check their batteries and cables otherwise?

Dave.

Great, I'll check all this out and get back to you if I have any problems. Thanks so much for your help, I've been struggling a bit to find answers to this stuff online for a while now :thumbs up:

Great, I'll check all this out and get back to you if I have any problems. Thanks so much for your help, I've been struggling a bit to find answers to this stuff online for a while now :thumbs up:

You are very welcome. Do not struggle! There are plenty of very talented people here to help you. There are no 'silly' questions when you don't know. All 'we' ask is that people are a bit systematic in asking and then applying the suggestions.

Dave.

You are very welcome. Do not struggle! There are plenty of very talented people here to help you. There are no 'silly' questions when you don't know. All 'we' ask is that people are a bit systematic in asking and then applying the suggestions.

Dave.

You say that though; I asked the same question on another forum previously (think it was Future Producers or something) and was basically told to piss off and do my research. By a mod.

So I don't take any help online for granted!

Does your interface have a Monitor Balance knob labeled "Input / Computer". Turn it all the way 'round to Computer to hear playback. Anything counter-clockwise from that will reduce headphone volume on playback. To hear your record input, turn it full counter-clockwise.

Welcome! I see that Dave, [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] has you going down the right path, so I am just going to throw out some of my gear and let you guys keep flowing. He is pretty up to date on this stuff.

I use a powerplay pro 8. No complaints and it will except mono or stereo inputs. $149. It will power 8 cans louder then you really should be listening to audio at. Wow, who said that?

Given that the interface will need updating when I buy a new computer (its not compatible with W10 as far as I know), any recommendations for an interface that also powers headphones?

The last reference to your system requirements mentioned windows 98. You have had that puppy for a while a? I may have miss it but how many inputs do you need? I see your last one had midi I/Os, do you still need that as well? Tascams are very decent. I use a US 16 x 8 and while the built in amp will not make your ears bleed, I am a stickler for inputting between a -12 and -18dbs and I can hear it all using around 20 to 25%. I think that works out to something like a -32 or -37LUFS. Its pretty low. Once I bring my audio up between 13 to 16LUFS, I turn it back to around 10%.

Cheers! Joseph

Cheers to you as well!

OR

Sweetwater and many other sites have a few budget headphone amp options, but as explained the DT880s could run adequately on most modern interface's headphone out. Most modern USB interfaces have decent enough headphone out that you could pretty much shop and decide based on interface price/need, then just verify support for 32ohm cans. Dave did his usually thorough job breaking the numbers down for you.

Does that particular model (DT-880) come with a plug that also converts to 1/8" so you could try them with an iPod or smartphone to see if the problem is the headphones or your interface? Or, do other headphones sound Ok with your interface? (A UA25 was my first interface and it drove "regular" headphones just fine.)

I've got a pair of 250Ω DT-770s and while I have to turn the volume up higher for them than the Sennheisers (my AI has 2 headphone jacks), they're fine. There's no reason a 32Ω pair should be as quiet as you describe, or you'd need a headphone amp to drive them.

I agree with keith. 880, 770...have the mini plug or 1/4 ability.
The Roland is 1/4".

The Direct Monitoring knob should be full left to get the +6db per the manual, in addition to the Master output volume controls headphone and main outs. It also mentions this volume can be controlled in the DAW , cubase is mentioned in the manual...so check the volume controls in the daw?

Its a USB powered at 480ma unit and my exp is these can be "weaker" headphone units.
Behinger makes some headphone amps that are cheap, the power play is popular.
I always wanted to try the MonitorTwo..Behringer HA

Attachments

• MonitorOne Behringer headphone.png
    MonitorOne Behringer headphone.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 1
Back