Audio interface as general system soundcard?

paw1

Is it possible to assign the audio interface to take the job as the computer's general system soundcard? The reason I ask is because my only other alternative is using the monitor's in-built speaker for music listening and general PC sounds (yuk!).

I run Windows 7, and only yesterday received the RME Fireface UFX. I tried to find out about this in the manual, but the sound device manager displayed in it looks way different (more advanced) than the one in Win 7.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

Noob

That is exactly what an interface does. :)

Just install the RME driver for W7 and make it your default sound device (Control Panel>Sound).

Make sure you check the option for 'Release Driver' or something similar to that, so that your DAW does not hold it from use by other applications.

Great stuff! Made it now and my speakers sound great through this thing!:thumbs up:

Not hard to beat monitor speakers though..

I did try to change it to default sound device yesterday, but it didn't work. Probably just had to have a restart first:)

Thanks Jimmy, for the easy fix!

The UFX is one of the most baddest assest interfaces out there. The features are just SICK!

Have fun!

Cheers :)

You shouldn't need a reboot but I find the interface has to be connected, detected and working before you can set it to be the default. In the Win7 Audio control, you may need to click on a blank white area to bring up a menu and click on "Show disconnected devices" and "Show disabled devices".

Good to know Bobbsy, thanks for the info!

Mo Facta, I can't wait to play with this thing. In fact that's what I'm going to do right now:D

I was really set on getting an interface with eight preamps, but this one was just so bad ass, and perfect in every other way.
The UFX came out as the winner after a three-month long extensive read-up on many, many interfaces, and I'm very happy with the choice:)

Back