audio interface between analog mixer and DAW

JeffBauman

I’m about to replace my Win XP music computer with something running Win 7. Because of that, I need a new (modern) audio interface to put between my analog 16-channel mixer (Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro) and my DAW running Sonar X1. What I’m replacing is an Aardvark Pro 24/96 – it’s worked great for more than ten years, but I don’t think Win 7 drivers exist for it.

I don’t _need_ mic pre-amps or headphone jacks on the audio interface; I use the Mackie for those elements. I would like MIDI on the interface but can always handle that separately. (I supplemented the single MIDI I/O on the Aardvark a long time ago with an additional MIDI hub.) The four analog inputs on the Aardvark have taken care of me for all these years but I see this as a chance/time to possibly increase my analog input count. (8? 12? 16?) Audio quality, driver stability/reliability, manufacturer support, etc. are all important. I’d like to stay under $1,000; the Aardvark was $700 “back in the day.”

Suggestions?

Amazon.com : New M-Audio Avid Delta 1010LT Sound Card PCI Internal Ableton Live Lite Multiple Analog I/O : Computer Internal Sound Cards : Computers & Accessories

^?? Assuming a desktop with a spare PCI slot of course.

Then there is the Emu 1212m and 1616M PCIe cards.

For usb AIs there is very little I know of that has multiple line only inputs. RME UCX(drool!) is close but has two mic ins. Well over budget I know but just about as BSH driver performer as you are likely to get.

Lastly the A&H ICE 16, and you don't even need a 'puter!

Dave.

Back