audio interface advice please

pallinhio

hallo everyone!i would like some help choosing an audio interface.budget is tight (up to $400).my goal is to be able to record at least 8 tracks at the same time(drums mostly,so mic inputs are essential).opinions on the tascam us1800 or similar would be great.i own a pc,no firewire!feel free to suggest any set up!!big thanks in advance

thanks.i cheked it and seems,with all the mic preamps and mackie quality,like a good sollution.but i ll have to get firewire.A bit out of budget though.thanks again!

No doubt the Mackie is a decent small mixer but you need to consider if you wish to invest in Firewire which, as a standard is rapidly being phased out. Because I do a lot of location work, I use a laptop and had a dickens of a time finding a machine I could adapt for Firewire (in my case using an Express Card slot. This situation will only get worse.

Also, consider whether there are enough mic pre amps (there's only three). The rest of your inputs will have to be at line level via the stereo inputs.

Frankly, you should likely evaluate the US1800. A lot of HR contributors (not including me) have them and speak highly of them. I'm sure somebody who knows the Tascam well will be along shortly.

m-audio inserts?

the fact that inputs 1-2 feature inserts on m-audio 8r is great for recording bass drum or snare,bass,vox.dynamic processing while recording needs to be done carefully,but i like it.thanks

I can't post a link to it but the name of it is The Tascam US144 MKII USB 2.0 Audio Interface and it is priced at only $119.95. I own one and it is pretty good. Make sure the interface you get has the type of input and output you need. Also make sure it has a MIDI feature so you can use some external synths.

Back