Audio interface advice, 4-track cassette into DAW, need 4 1/4" inputs

TPMCD

OK, I've got a Tascam 246 cassette 4-track, and I want to send 4 tracks of audio into my computer so that that they'll be separate .wav files and also, of course, be sync'd up. So, what I need is an audio interface that has 4 inputs, preferably 1/4" because that's the outs on the 246 (yes, I have 4 separate line outs on the 246).

I've been looking at some stuff on line, and some of the popular choices, seem to be the Presonus 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, and I may just go with those.

But here's my deal: I don't necessarily need mic preamps, so what I want the bulk of my money going towards is the best audio-to-digital conversion that I can afford.

I'm looking on line, and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm somewhat confused by the jargon and equipment...for example, I went to the RME website, and while the Babyface won't work because there aren't enough inputs, it seemed that they had other stuff that might, but I was clueless as to what I was looking at.

My budget is in the $400-$800 range.

Thanks in advance all.

Tom

OK, I've got a Tascam 246 cassette 4-track, and I want to send 4 tracks of audio into my computer so that that they'll be separate .wav files and also, of course, be sync'd up. So, what I need is an audio interface that has 4 inputs, preferably 1/4" because that's the outs on the 246 (yes, I have 4 separate line outs on the 246).

I've been looking at some stuff on line, and some of the popular choices, seem to be the Presonus 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, and I may just go with those.

But here's my deal: I don't necessarily need mic preamps, so what I want the bulk of my money going towards is the best audio-to-digital conversion that I can afford.

I'm looking on line, and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm somewhat confused by the jargon and equipment...for example, I went to the RME website, and while the Babyface won't work because there aren't enough inputs, it seemed that they had other stuff that might, but I was clueless as to what I was looking at.

My budget is in the $400-$800 range.

Thanks in advance all.

Tom

There ARE line input only interfaces Tom but quite frankly, unless you go for a "pro" field recording jobbie they are probably not that special* and in fact, despite the outrageous claims of mnfctrs, the actual mic pre "bits" cost diddly once you have a case, converter and power supply.

Virtually made for the job is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. The mic inputs double as line ins and there are two more line ins at the back. Full 4 track operation is completed with 4 discrete balanced outs.

Where in the world are you Tom? I can foresee a couple of operational difficulties but will wait for the post to "mature"!

*You could get away with a 16bit system for dubbing tape but these days 24 bits is the norm.

I still have my Tascam 246, loved it. I've sent audio into my old Aardvark Q10 audio card before, recording into Cubase. I'm not sure about synchronizing the Tascam as it doesn't have a midi I/O or a syn port. Unless you can record some kind of signal onto one of the four tracks, dunno. I believe you can manipulate the audio once it's recorded into DAW software to match a tempo, some kind of beat calculator, and other tools.

I believe you'll want to use the 'Tape Out' in this instance, as it comes directly from the recorder section. Program Out is typically used when you want the Tascam to act as a sub mixer.

There are so many interfaces with multiple I/O's that can accept a line level source. I don't have a particular recommendation, but almost any of them should do.

Back