Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Audio Interface

Thanks

Audio Interface

Sign in to disable this ad
    Guess Ill try this here, got no responses in the Tascam section,
    I'm looking at audio interfaces to use with Reaper, Would like opinions on the following,
    Tascam 16x08
    Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
    Behringer Uphoria comparable model to above.

Looking for the usual, clean pre's and trouble free operation with low latency round trip.
    This is for home studio use. Mostly vocals with backing tracks, some instrument recording.

Thanks

Thanks
    Never seen any complaints on either Tascam or Scarlett interfaces.The Behrs are a cheap entry-level option.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    I may be helping answer my own question but one thing that used to be true about outboard gear was that units with internal AC power supplies were of higher quality. One way they get manufacturing costs down on gear is to go with a cheaper more compact external AC/DC conversion. Internal supplies were also less susceptible to noise. Not sure if that applies here but this used to be the case. That being said a plus to an external is if it goes out you can easily replace it. Internals usually leave you with a large paper weight unless you are really good at repairing electronics yourself. I'm leaning towards the Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen even though I am a Tascam fan

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Focusrite Scarlett |

Gets a very good reccy there ^. The F'rite also has ADAT capability, nice future-proofing. I am not an 'automatic' fan of Focustrite, their lower range models are not good VFM IMHO compared to say Steinberg's UR22 but that bigger job looks very good.

All that said!! IF I were looking for that kind of connectivity and that sort of money AND I was thinking long term, I would live on beans on toast for a year, walk everywhere and buy RME! (mind you, 'er indoors might have a bit to say!).

Just a thought? I would email F'rite with your computer speccs (printout from Speccy or similar) and make DDamn sure you have the PC grunt.

Dave.

Thanks
    All three are great products...

I have heard zero complaints about the Uphoria line here at HR.com and the reviews at sweetwater and guitar center are pretty glowing.

The Behringer audio interface products are a fantastic value and provide you everything the average Homewrecker needs from an interface to achieve great recordings. You won't go wrong any of three but the Tascam 16/8 and BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC1820 are $200 less than the focusrite. I just don't personally drink the focusrite brand name koolaid...When I am ready to pull the trigger I've decided at least for now on the Behri UMC 1820 but I won't be buying till after NAMM this January...just want to see if there is anything coming down the pipe that I might want instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    All three are great products...

I have heard zero complaints about the Uphoria line here at HR.com and the reviews at sweetwater and guitar center are pretty glowing.

The Behringer audio interface products are a fantastic value and provide you everything the average Homewrecker needs from an interface to achieve great recordings. You won't go wrong any of three but the Tascam 16/8 and BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC1820 are $200 less than the focusrite. I just don't personally drink the focusrite brand name koolaid...When I am ready to pull the trigger I've decided at least for now on the Behri UMC 1820 but I won't be buying till after NAMM this January...just want to see if there is anything coming down the pipe that I might want instead.

Yes, because I hate their (lack of) business ethics I keep waiting for some operational horror story about the Behringer interfaces but the bloody things just seem to go from strength to strength!

Personally I would not buy anything 'this year's new and shiny' ESPECIALLY if it needs software!

Err! Apples and oranges chaps. The first two interfaces, the Tassy and the F'rite have 8 mic inputs and the Focusrite ADAT to boot.
    AFAICT the Berry just does 4 in 4 out? They do not seem to have an ADAT AI at all? Odd when the ADA8200 gets a generally good rep?

OOOooop! Just seen the 18 whatsit!

Dave.
    Last edited by ecc83; 1 Week Ago at 12:14.

Thanks
    How many people need ADAT these days?

Internal vs external power supply, don't think its a big deal these days, what can be is power supply vs USB-only power, which depending on your computer, may not be sufficient to drive phantom power for a bunch of mics.

I got turned off to Behr from the mixer I bought (and returned) several years ago - noisy weak preamps. I know the current crop are better, and I even have a couple of cheap Behr pedals on my pedal board.
    My Tascam US600 has been flawless since I bought it and no complaints on the mic preamps or the headphone output, for me at least.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Yep The Behri 1820 has 8 and is expandable for @ $200 to 16 preamps

She's a beauty!

USB Interface with Plenty of I/O
    If you need lots of I/O for your home studio, the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB 2.0 audio interface is worth a look. With 18 inputs and 10 outputs, the U-PHORIA UMC1820 gives you plenty of options for connecting your synths and outboard gear. Add eight Midas-designed mic pres and high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz converters to the mix, and you have yourself a complete studio in a box. Not enough I/O? Connect a Behringer ADA8200 to the U-PHORIA UMC1820's ADAT input and expand to a total of 16 preamps.

image_71499.jpg

Thanks
    If you ever get into using outboard hardware, you will need an interface that allows you to COMPLETELY bypass the AI's preamps. I have collected some really cool preamps over the years, and still like their coloration. To accommodate their use, I got an Audient ASP880 interface. It has 8 superb preamps and converters, but each preamp has a bypass switch (blue A-D button) that allows you to bypass that particular channel and patch in your outboard gear. It is the single best new feature I've added to my studio in years. The 880s are very pricey in the US, but you can get a much better deal buying from a UK online dealer since they are made there. I paid about $400 less this way, even after the import duty.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    How many people need ADAT these days?

Internal vs external power supply, don't think its a big deal these days, what can be is power supply vs USB-only power, which depending on your computer, may not be sufficient to drive phantom power for a bunch of mics.

I got turned off to Behr from the mixer I bought (and returned) several years ago - noisy weak preamps. I know the current crop are better, and I even have a couple of cheap Behr pedals on my pedal board.
    My Tascam US600 has been flawless since I bought it and no complaints on the mic preamps or the headphone output, for me at least.
    NEED ADAT Mike? Probably not many all the time but 16 mic input AIs are rare and expensive and I would guess 8 mics is plenty for most bods in the HR scenario but, nice to have the expansion option? I have never looked into the matter but you could probably hire in a tasty (RME?) ADAT pre for the eventuality?

I too was hissed off with Behringer at an early stage. Their BCA2000 was a brilliant concept and worked well WHEN it worked. B awful drivers and worse electrical reliability. But I have since bought several Berry products including the X802 mixer and I have to say they are very good for the money. I have not seen a review of the latest AIs they have spawned (only trust SoS) but, *&^%$ their eyes, they seem to attract nothing but good comments (btw, is TAE on a drink from Bellringers?)

Dave.

Thread Information