Audio interface for 300-500 usd

lagwagon06

Hi guys,

I have been recording in my home studio for an audiobox usb for a long time now. I know think that i trained enough to finally get something better. I am using studio one pro 3 on a pc. I need midi in and out. I mainly record guitars (through a loadbox or vst plugins such as amplitube), record drum midi via a multipad and superior drummer, record keyboards via a midi keybord or a microkorg and record vocal with a condenseur microphone so i need a 48v phantom power. I might want to record real drums later next year but nothing fancy so 4 to 6 input are sufficient. Let me know what you think would be the best for me for a budget of 300-500 usd.

Thanks a lot,
Jean

I am still a fan of the Tascam 16X08, put in in a portable gator bag rack, and you can record anywhere and with plenty of channels. A few on here had trouble with them, but many have not. Good bang for your buck. Not the best, but pretty good and it has been stable for me for last couple of years.

I also have a Audiobox USB that I use if I want to go out and record various sounds with a laptop. Nice thing about that is, you can use it with only USB power and power your mics if required. Depending on your battery, you could get a couple of hours of recording time.

I was also thinking about a scarlett 18i8.
I have head mixed reviews about the scarlett units, what do you guys think?

I'm very happy with my Saffire Pro 26, which is kind of the predecessor 18+8=26). I do see mixed reviews, but many of the negative ones don't have "verified buyer" (in fairness, perhaps they lost that "sticker" when they returned the item - IDK). At Amazon, the reviews are useless since they seem to contain every possible Focusrite Scarlett interface review, and the V1s did have problems (why there's a V2 now). But, FWIW, the 18i20 (v2) gets more consistent high marks, and is still [just] in your price range. Inputs galore.

Hi Jean, WoW! Just scanned Sweetwaters pages of AIs and there is SUCH a choice! Especially at the top of your budget. The MOTU 8pre USB is in there.

Tascam, Presonus. Roland Do some investigation of the Zoom UAC-8, the UAC-2 gets a really good rep from Pete at Scan. You want MIDI but ADAT might be handy as well if you are looking at recording a drum kit.

I don't know if you have jumped (been pushed!) to Win 10 yet but if so look for a latest generation interface, some older models may not play well.

Dave.

I was concidering a MOTU 4pre USB, but it doesn t have any MIDI connections, which I need

No? IDIOTS! The 8pre does but a good bit over $500. Some here will think.."Hey Dave! What about your NIKA6 hobby horse?" Well, it WILL do for MIDI and very low latency AND is probably THE most stable AI bar RME* but only 2 mics although a small mixer could be used with the two extra line ins. Keys don't have S/PDIF out perchance?

*refurbed UCX?
Dave.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the answer. I think the 18i8 is what I need, but I might also be interested in the audient m22 Overview - Audient

It only has 2 inputs, but so far this is what I need and it has ADAT so I could use more preamp later.

Do you think there is a huge difference between a focusrite 18i8 and a audient ID14 or ID22 ?

Thanks for your help.

Gets a glowing report here..Audient iD14 |

I did think of mentioning ADAT capability but did not want to add any confusion. The Behringer ADA8200 has attracted a lot of good rep.

Dave. Aaaargh!! Neither the 14 nor the 22 have MIDI! Daft buggers.

Those Audient boxes too spendy for my cheap self, but I'm not going to argue with the glowing reviews.

Look, everyone likes what they spent their money on, assuming it works well, and most of these devices do just fine. What's best for you only you can tell. Might be worth getting one each and sending back the one that you like less. Then you won't have any regrets.

Those Audient boxes too spendy for my cheap self, but I'm not going to argue with the glowing reviews.

Look, everyone likes what they spent their money on, assuming it works well, and most of these devices do just fine. What's best for you only you can tell. Might be worth getting one each and sending back the one that you like less. Then you won't have any regrets.

Fair comment K and AIs are very much better than they were but it can be useful for people to come to forums like HR just to see if anything bad is known. A great number of people have succumbed for example to the adpuff claims about USB mixers thinking they were getting a Trident desk and 8 tracks for 60 bucks!

It is always good to talk.

Dave.

Back