Which Audio Card?

HowardRoark

Hey There.

I would be much obliged if some of you more experienced folk out there would send some info this way on audio cards. I'm definitely in the market for my first. I've been multitrack recording for years, but have thus far only used cassette and reel recorders. I know I need a good audio card to get started via Desktop. What would you recommend in a decent, "entry level" card? I don't need the kind of thing George Lucas would use, but more like the kind of thing that the Jesus Lizard would use.

Thanks,
HR

Hey...

Welcome to the land of a weird looking coffee background color! (an inside joke sort of...)

Um, there is a search function at the top of every page. This question has been asked in many forms about, oh, 1000 times! Many excellent threads have ensued from the past questions. They are worth exploring.

Personally, I like my Lynx One card! :) http://www.lynxstudio.com

Good luck.

Ed

Hmmmmmmm..

c7sus. I don't really understand your first question. I run my consoles Mix output to the input of the card.

AES/EBU and S/PDIF only transmit a stereo, or two mono tracks of audio. T/PFIF and ADAT can transmit 8 tracks of mono audio on their one connection, but they are the only digital transfer format that can do more then two tracks at a time on digital transfers.

Ed

LynxOne

sonusman said:

Here here! I finally bought a LynxOne last month after Ed turned me on to them ... oh, about a year ago. I use the AES/EBU digital I/O to and from my board. Important to note, however, that the AES/EBU and s/pdif format use the same I/O ... same jacks ... you just 'switch' between the formats.
You can record to up to 4 tracks on a LynxONe (2 thru analog inputs and 2 thru digital input). But, you can link multiple cards together for more tracks if you want.
Thanks, Ed for that advice long long ago ... it wound up being a great match for my needs. :)

As jim carrey said, "one word, two phrases"

DELTA 1010

still the lowest noise and highest bit/sample rate out there

NOTHING in its price range even compares :$619 with free software(if you download Protools free)
or $700 with the vegas pro bundle @marsmusic.com

Back