audient id14 and eleven rack

arten

Hi,

I currently have an audient id14 and i will be buying an eleven rack, because I think it's the best modeller price/quality wise.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep the id 14 when I have the eleven rack because the eleven rack also has a mic pre built in.

I can only think of 2 reasons to keep the audient:
- the ad/da conversion is really noticeably better (I don't know if it is)
- the mic pre-amp of the audient is really noticeably better (again, don't know if this is true)

This leads to 3 options:
- sell the audient, switch completely to the eleven rack
- keep the audient, but connect the eleven rack audio out to the pre-amp of the audient, using the eleven rack only as a modeller
- connect the eleven rack via spdif to the audient, extending the audient's inputs and using both devices' full capabilities

with the third option, there is the difficulty of connecting an optical spdif to an analog spdif, thus needing conversion and I'm not sure
this will work without quality loss, clicks, pops, clock problems etc..

what do you guys think?

ps: just to be clear, it's a hobby setup, aiming to get a decent recording setup for doodles etc

I'd at least keep the interface until you are completely sold that the Eleven Rack will do everything you need it to as an interface, i.e., that it lives up to your expectations.

Purely based on the Sweetwater description I have to think the Audient (looks pretty sweet BTW), as a purpose-built AI, is probably better up to that job, and, besides 2 mic pres, has a more standard ADAT input for expansion.

Just curious - are you getting the bundle with Pro Tools, or already a Pro Tools user?

I’m not a protools user yet. I was thinking of buying the hardware only.

I can however buy a used one with protools 8, but I have no idea if 8 is still something to consider as the current version is 12

NO! Such thing as 'analogue' S/PDIF chap! You mean 'co-ax'.

The converters are simply hex inverters, switches driving an IR LED (or co-ax socket) I have used them twixt an MD machine and a 2496 card without issue. There is no "conversion" going on, just very fast switching.

As I understand from reviews (SoS) the Audient DO have very clean mic pres and excellent converters and yes, I would go the digital route and keep both, but then I never sell ANYTHING!

Dave.

I'd at least keep the interface until you are completely sold that the Eleven Rack will do everything you need

I'd +1 that.

I’m not a protools user yet. I was thinking of buying the hardware only.

I can however buy a used one with protools 8, but I have no idea if 8 is still something to consider as the current version is 12

I have a strange relationship with ProTools where I wouldn't use anything else, but I struggle to recommend it at the cost.
I'd be really unlikely to recommend PT8 because it lacks so many features, compared to new PT,and is Avid hardware dependent, but if you're armed with the knowledge and think it's for you that's fair enough.

Just make sure you're armed with the knowledge, particularly where OS and plugin compatibility is concerned.

Back