Audacity Vs. Cubase or Cakewalk?

Dracon

Hello:

Does anyone know how Audacity (for 1/2 the cost of the others on sale) stack up against Cubase or Cakewalk?

If this question has been posted before I apologize in advance. :cool:

Isn't Audacity free...

It does the basic job but if you wanna get deeper into recording ... you'll run out of options pretty fast. It doesnt really compare to Cubase and Cakewalk.. maybe in few years. They are developing the product pretty fast.

It's a great piece of software for beginning computer based recording. Simple and easy to use.

hehe.. how many of you will bet that manning will offer powertracks here :rolleyes: Not being sarcastic as I'm trying the powertracks out myself today...

Audacity is definately free.

It's not really a multitrack mixer. It will record and playback multiple tracks, but it's mixing capabilities are limited. Specifically the gain and pan controls are clumbsy and it doesn't support real time effects.

It's a great tool for just about everything else.

audacity is good

audacity is a great, free app for simple audio recording. it has no midi sequencing capabilities (yet). try it - it's free.

Yeah I downloaded Audacity but I thought it was a Demo. However, it did not give me how many days to expiration but that does not mean much.

It's not a great tool, but for Free it's awsome and the price is just right (to start with).

I will give Kristal a look, thanks beezelbubba.

I have other audio tools which I have gotten for free from NONAGS.
If you are wondering (and no I don't work for NONAGS) NONAGS is a web resource in which software developers put their Freeware on-line. You can suscribe if you like (for a price I'm sure) or use it for free (with some limitations) like I do. Anyway, They have Free Audio Rippers, Browser, Icons whatever.
I greatly appreciate all the info. I will stay with Audacity for now until I decide to get serious. :cool:

dracon. many powertracks users like myself tried free software first.
then got powertracks.
the problem is - how much is your time worth to you ?
just simple things like editing an audio track are much easier with what i use.
for example those free programs dont have the ability to do a quick drum track like i can. they dont have midi facilities or the ability to do tempo mapping, or interpreting chords from imported midi files which can be usefull,
or actually viewing music notation...and the list goes on.
like handling multi input sound cards.
you should also check out band in a box from pg as well. used by thousands of musicians and music educators.
while your still mucking around with audacity....in 20 minutes youll be
hearing a full bed track from biab with drums, bass, keys, and any other instrument you want. there are thousands of music styles for biab.
and it will save you huge amounts of time. but its up to you.
just check out the demoes sometime and keep an open mind.
even college music professors use these products because they are both excellent and very cheap. if you dont believe me , talk to other users on the pg forums. (pgmusic.com).

also - to traidma and others. the reason why i'm passionate about these products is i'm a computer engineer and also a musician/songwriter.
initially i too was a tad sceptical. but then i started to delve ,
and realised the depth of thought and software engineering that went into these products from a musicians perspective. then i found out the people developing these products were song mad like me. these are real human beings folks. i just wish i could meet them one day. i would thank them profusely for the power they have put in my hands. as an engineer myself i KNOW when a product has been poorly implemented. its tough to fly one by me. thus they have my utmost respect. sure - laugh it off , or bypass the product, but in my opinion your going to miss out on some very fine capabilities to help you get songs down.
in closing ive also seen on the user forum how the developers of the products interract with their user base and the passion they show.
also look at things like live help. where on-line if you have a technical problem you can ask for assistance. yes - i'm passionate - and with good reason. they have earnt my utmost respect. in my book 49 bucks for
a product where you get all this support is a no brainer.
just the forums and the education you get in audio engineerring , are worth that, even without the software . you also get video tutorials , which you
dont get with free software. the tutorials alone are worth the price.
imho its a no brainer.peace.
rant over....

manning1 said:
...... you also get video tutorials , which you
dont get with free software. the tutorials alone are worth the price.
imho its a no brainer.peace.
rant over....

Hey Manning I understand. I've worked in a couple of development projects myself. I've worked with developers who don't listen at all and do what the hell they want, and I've worked with awsome developers who knew their stuff and fixed problems before adding new features.

Anyway, I will eventually (when I get real serious) purchase some software. The reason is because I will start a business and I like doing things correctly. However, for now I'll stick to Audacity for the price. However, Kristal is not very user friendly although it looks cool.

Audacity is thin on tools but very easy to use!

I've recorded several test tracks with the Audacity and it really could not be any easier to use. Well I guess it could be easier but I wouldn't have a job.

I admit that I have not tried recording on Kristal. I will and see how that turns out. My only problem with Krystal is how do you open a wav file?

Anyway, just an update if anyone cared.

Tracktion is being given away in a promotion scheme by the publisher of Keyboard, EQ, etc. It's usually $80 and would be something I would use if it was 10 times the price, but for free y'can't beat it with a stick.

Here's the link to Tracktion and here is a link to a bunch of free VST fx and VSTi's to load it up with.

ssscientist said:
Here's the link to Tracktion and here is a link to a bunch of free VST fx and VSTi's to load it up with.
You know, I discuss this at work all the time. I work on computer support for the troops and they can get to eat for free at the chow hall, or go to a fast food restaurant.

Many choose to go to the fast food restaurant. You would think that the food at the chow hall is bad. It's not I eat there all the time, I can't beat it for the price either. Heck, I can't even eat at home for that price. :)

Back