Audacity 1.2

billy3000

has anyone tried this stuff? I'm curious. it's free and all, so no piracy issues.
but what's the catch? there must be one.

I haven't personally used it yet, but it's suggested in my audio book, computer recording for dummies. the advice in the book is very solid, and lines up well with the class im taking in school (although the book isn't used in class, just outside reading of my own), so I have no reason to think its not a solid piece of software. Mainly for editing use, although I think it can be used for recording.

I know its been mentioned on this site as well, use the search to find those posts (I'm not sure what kinda info was posted though honestly, so those posts may or may not help much)

hey there, audacity is a decent program, that is very simply done, and might not work well for you, but for what its worth, (free) its an amazing program, (and its slowly developing, as far as i know though)

now theres another program that ive found to be very simple AND well done
as a multitracker and i highly recomend it. you can see its in my signiture
but here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ -------its called reaper,
im very into the free software thing and this may suit you.

what may be a downfall is:
its only for windows...for now i think, and the editing is alittle limited.

but other than that, it suits my needs amazingly well.
hey, you cant loose anything by trying it, both programs are free just for that reason, no there isnt support, but at the same time there is:
Check out their forums, and theres almost always someone who can help you out with an issue.

oh any btw reaper is only about 1 mb, so your hard drive has nothing to loose either!

-hw

I don't use it much but used it a lot last fall to recover headerless wavs that were produced when my SONAR 2.2.XL would crash... It's primarially intended as a wav editor and atleast in demudi linux comes with 239 effects... compaired to my SONAR 2XL's 30 or so... I could see myself using it more if I was creating soundeffects... or maybe postaudio/mastering in combination with JAMin... Ardour is sometimes overkill for small projects... like converting a wav to ogg or mp3

misscc803 said:
NO MIDI Either
if you mean reaper...
that is currently in development, but for v1.0 (which most likely wont be free)if
but i hardly use midi, and its not entended to be a midi sequence too.

i use jazz for my midi...

audacity isnt really ever going to have midi support, why would it?

....and the catch is that there are some home recordists who are absolute computer freaks... and happen to be programmers. ...sort of like NASCAR drivers having automotive engineering degrees...

music is a hobby and so is programming... some times it's easier to get recognition being a programmer... sad,... but true... :)

Windows/no Midi/just Wanna Record Tracks

hrwmusic said:
hey there, audacity is a decent program, that is very simply done, and might not work well for you, but for what its worth, (free) its an amazing program, (and its slowly developing, as far as i know though)

now theres another program that ive found to be very simple AND well done
as a multitracker and i highly recomend it. you can see its in my signiture
but here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ -------its called reaper,
im very into the free software thing and this may suit you.

what may be a downfall is:
its only for windows...for now i think, and the editing is alittle limited.

but other than that, it suits my needs amazingly well.
hey, you cant loose anything by trying it, both programs are free just for that reason, no there isnt support, but at the same time there is:
Check out their forums, and theres almost always someone who can help you out with an issue.

oh any btw reaper is only about 1 mb, so your hard drive has nothing to loose either!

-hw

((what may be a downfall is, its only for windows))

I only have Windows :)

((and the editing is a little limited))

that's fine. I'm not big into editing either. is it actually a fairly decent multitrack recording medium then?

it sounded like you didn't think it was too bad. thanks for the post!

Thanks To All

thank you all for posting so much good info. I guess the best way to see if it's any good or rather 'if I like it' ....is to try the stuff. thanks again. any tips or feedback much appreciated. cheers!

Bill

Back