đź–•

Sorry, but that is not necessarily true. Yeah, better than a 2002 PC, but configurations of newer PC's do not necessarily mean that it will be awesome. As my previous post will show. And this was a $2000 build that should have worked. It didn't because of a issue with USB controller and chipset or graphics card not communicating efficiantly. And many had issues with manufacturer built systems as well. Oddly, Steinberg has taken over two years working to find the issue. They still haven't. Ugh for others that do not have the desire to change their mobo.

Again, just for claritys sake, I was referring to pure speed. Pinky suggested you would need "processing power" to run effects, instruments etc. and I just wanted to put things in perspective. My current recording PC is in fact from 2004, and is MUCH faster than is really needed to handle 20+ tracks. The CPU in my desktop PC is from 2012, mid-level, and is 2 to 10+ times* faster than that recording PC. Anything from 2017? Definitely fast enough.

An issue with a USB controller or whatever else has nothing to do with that. Again, like I said, the main thing you want is reliability, and that is precisely what you are actually talking about there jimmys69. So basically... agreed? :)

jimmys69 said:
I would agree that in most cases, a more modern PC will perform better, but it can be a crapshoot. Best would be to buy a fresh 'OEM' copy of Windows to make sure the manufacturer hasn't added a bunch of bloatware you can't get rid of.

I am curious though, is there a Windows 10 OEM? I am sticking with W 7 till It explodes...Windows 10 scares me as I have heard the auto updates can screw with software. I can't afford to have things suddenly not work while I am working on a project.

Definitely get rid of any bloatware, yes. Don't know about the OEM thing but I use W10 and I've indeed had the auto updates screw with things, A LOT (but actually only graphics related things). I don't really use this desktop for serious audio stuff. I'm the type that keeps the recording PC off the internet so it CAN't update itself or catch viruses etc.
Though, I do import projects onto this desktop and do rough mixes (that's all I do anyway :) ) and have so far had no real problems.

* The recording PC is single core and single core performance has "only" doubled in that time. Using all cores this newer one crushes that old thing. I don't know to what extent audio software takes advantage of multiple cores though. EDIT: Found something, some statistics even, related to the multi-core thing: Does n-Track have the ability to utilize quad-core or dual-core processing?

Last edited:
SOS Forum • God help me....

Have a varder of that ^ Jimmy. The idea seems to be to install W10 but NOT be online so that it cannot do all the damaging updates that screw with drivers and such. Once you have the OS running it is said to be possible to turn off automatic updates then download the ones you really need?

But I am with you James, I have 4 W7 PCs and do not want W10. I had it for about 3 weeks and gave the PC away.

Dave.

I am curious though, is there a Windows 10 OEM? I am sticking with W 7 till It explodes...Windows 10 scares me as I have heard the auto updates can screw with software. I can't afford to have things suddenly not work while I am working on a project.

I'll also likely never upgrade to Win10, especially with the new (to Windows 10) imposed updates policy (which you can turn off to some degree, but then you're not getting critical updates until you run it manually).

Yes, the computer makers sell plenty of new Win10 OEM installs. Some are bloated as you would expect them to be.

Again, just for claritys sake, I was referring to pure speed. Pinky suggested you would need "processing power" to run effects, instruments etc. and I just wanted to put things in perspective. My current recording PC is in fact from 2004, and is MUCH faster than is really needed to handle 20+ tracks. The CPU in my desktop PC is from 2012, mid-level, and is 2 to 10+ times* faster than that recording PC. Anything from 2017? Definitely fast enough.

Your blanket, anecdotal statement(s) are incorrect. Doubling down on them doesn't make it any more 'right'. If you simply said "most" or "many" you would at least be in the ballpark.

We're all here to exchange info and learn. But you have to be open to learning. I can teach you if you actually want to know [I'm a professional in the IT industry], but it sounds like you're more interested in making and defending your *point*.

Your blanket, anecdotal statement(s) are incorrect. Doubling down on them doesn't make it any more 'right'. If you simply said "most" or "many" you would at least be in the ballpark.

We're all here to exchange info and learn. But you have to be open to learning. I can teach you if you actually want to know [I'm a professional in the IT industry], but it sounds like you're more interested in making and defending your *point*.

I'm most interested in not being misrepresented. You don't need to teach me anything, I know much more about computers than you seem to assume. No need to talk down to me.

What I said in the first place boiled down to "For home recording, you need a reasonably powerful and above all reliable computer". You give the impression that you for some reason disagree with that.

As an aside:
I did refer to "most" or "many". I would be VERY surprised if you would be able to find a NEW, desktop computer that was not capable of most if not all "home recording". There are tablets and smartphones, and maybe laptops that are too low-spec, but desktops? No.

I did refer to "most" or "many". I would be VERY surprised if you would be able to find a NEW, desktop computer that was not capable of most if not all "home recording". There are tablets and smartphones, and maybe laptops that are too low-spec, but desktops? No.

You're assuming everyone uses what you use on their home recording computers. I recently had a complex project tax my very robust, albeit older, i7 desktop. It was using about 80% of available CPU and that was after freezing a couple tracks. It all has to do with *what* someone is doing, not merely a matter of what hardware they're running. I could bring my desktop to its knees if I wanted, by careful selection/management of plugins and overall workflow I don't.

I'm not talking down to you. Correction tends to come across like that, no matter how its made. I've given up trying to correct people with smilies.

So do you want to know more about this topic or are you still just worried about how we perceive you?

As an aside:

actually its quite a few that will not record at the higher bit rates because they use software based controllers for the hard drive and they lack the throughput without taxing the cpu. This in turns results in poor real time performance.

Also video throughput without taxing the cpu is needed for plugins. As I've seen that is slowly becoming a demand for the newer plugins.

Does this look like a machine that could handle recording and mixing at 192/24? Any issues that you may know of with IRQ's, etc.?

HeavyMusic3000 custom build - PCPartPicker.com

Thank you
at that sampling rate, you will need a lot of drive throughput on the project drive.
I would add a M.2 drive and configure it as swap, then get a good 12Gb/s SAS controller and a few of SAS drives configured in raid10.
The SAS raid would be your project drive. Your os and DAW on the SSD you picked out on the motherboard controller.

You're assuming everyone uses what you use on their home recording computers. I recently had a complex project tax my very robust, albeit older, i7 desktop. It was using about 80% of available CPU and that was after freezing a couple tracks. It all has to do with *what* someone is doing, not merely a matter of what hardware they're running. I could bring my desktop to its knees if I wanted, by careful selection/management of plugins and overall workflow I don't.

I'm not talking down to you. Correction tends to come across like that, no matter how its made. I've given up trying to correct people with smilies.

So do you want to know more about this topic or are you still just worried about how we perceive you?

What are you even talking about? Why are you so upset? What are you trying to "correct"? I have no idea why you're being so hostile. You're not talking down to me? Hahahah!

I'm not interested in discussing anything with you, at least not until you start making more sense.

I see nothing 'hostile' here.

Just discussion. Please leave inflammatory misrepresentation to the ones best at it like the news.

This place is for learning and communicating to each other what we know and have hopes to learn from others. Not a place to argue or banter. We sometimes come off in the wrong way. So just chill and realize that another members comment can be taken wrong. Especially in text format. Hell, I have had silly arguments with my wife via text because the point wasn't clear...

Cool? :)

I end mine with a smiley because I like to smile.

This place is for learning and communicating to each other what we know and have hopes to learn from others.

Hey dood, just want to give you a shout out. Your video got my PC doing as it used to. First test failed bad. Recommendations, update the usb drivers. After updating and doing the second test, PC was running at blazing speeds without a single pop or click! Thanks man!

I see nothing 'hostile' here.

Just discussion. Please leave inflammatory misrepresentation to the ones best at it like the news.

This place is for learning and communicating to each other what we know and have hopes to learn from others. Not a place to argue or banter. We sometimes come off in the wrong way. So just chill and realize that another members comment can be taken wrong. Especially in text format. Hell, I have had silly arguments with my wife via text because the point wasn't clear...

Cool? :)

I end mine with a smiley because I like to smile.

It's good to know people hope to learn from me. I hate arguing, I like friendly discussion with mutual respect.

Cool :)

Myself and the other mods here are all about making this site a combined learning/discussion environment for all. Period...

Some of us have more experience with some things, some less with others. The whole idea of this site is to gain solid information by learning from others. Not just Youtube videos of some guy who has no clue telling false information. That happens way too much...

Sometimes discussions fall into an argument because text is devoid of emotion. It happens all the time. With my wife even at times... Ugh.. A forgotten smiley can lead to no dinner. lol!

Hey dood, just want to give you a shout out. Your video got my PC doing as it used to. First test failed bad. Recommendations, update the usb drivers. After updating and doing the second test, PC was running at blazing speeds without a single pop or click! Thanks man!

I just sharing the advice I have found over the years that helped me. Glad it helped you man! :)

I just executed that LatencyMon program on my old, crappy laptop. How should those numbers roughly be interpreted?

...food for thought...

Attachments

• e1_lm.jpg
    e1_lm.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 7
It means that you should have no problem hearing/monitoring or recording with added pops and clicks added into the mix.

Yeah. You mentioned you were experiencing pops and clicks, but your figures were actually well within the limits of what the devs of that program thought was adequate. Just wondering how much the "good enough" numbers vary between different systems.

Also, in your case (even though you said it now works well) I would take a look and possibly tweak your virtual memory settings. You might be able to get rid of those page faults.

best regards

Just to be fair, you should run LatencyMon with your daw open.

That a way your asio driver is initialized and the plugin runtimes are preloaded. This will give you correct benchmarking. The highest interrupt will be typically the usb port. The longest ISR routine that hogs the cpu time will be the hard drive controller driver (since its not a real drive controller with its own coprocessor)

Back