Athlon AMD 2000+ upgrade. What?

11miles

Hello,

This is one of my first posts, and i'll try to sound as smart as i can..:-)

Anyway, i've been a proud owner of Nuendo for some time now, but the amount of plugins hhas forced me to think about upgrade-ing the DAW a bit.
Now i am not using it for pro purposes, just for home production and stuff...

Anyway, i recently purchaesd the FF800, and i do liek it a lot. With a couple of plugins and soft-syths in the project running, i can get my CPU close to 80%!

I know my DAW sucks and i need a new one completely. The time will come, when you will suggest me what to buy.
AN AMD 64, or P4, or even a Mac.
But the time has not yet come, and i need a lot of money to raise, to even start thinking about it!

So for the time being, the upgrade is by far the best opstion.
Now i checked the guy at the shop and he said that with the motherboard i have, i can upgrade it to athlon 3000+, or even maybe barton.

What i want to know is what do you suggest i go for.
The durons and semprons are from what i hear by far inferior for music production. Please keep in mind, that i am thinking of upgrade only.

SO what do you suggest?

I personally would go AMD64......as the G4 is too expensive in my books.
The AMD64 seems to have a slight advantage over the P4's when it comes to recording. Do a search here and you will find lots of info.

Good Luck!

i am not able to afford to go for the AMD64, since i would have to change the whole platform, you know.

I am able to spend 100-200$ for the processor. 100 would be maybe enough if i get some use, because i dont think i could get a new athlon 2800 or 3000.
The AMD 64 is with the new motherboard, a bit too much mney for me at the moment!
I will do a research when i will be purchasing the new DAW!

Any comments on what to get, when searching for a faster and more ''doable'' proccesor
BArton v. athlon?

if you don't have at least 512meg get that first...

11miles said:
i am not able to afford to go for the AMD64, since i would have to change the whole platform, you know.

I am able to spend 100-200$ for the processor. 100 would be maybe enough if i get some use, because i dont think i could get a new athlon 2800 or 3000.
The AMD 64 is with the new motherboard, a bit too much mney for me at the moment!
I will do a research when i will be purchasing the new DAW!

Any comments on what to get, when searching for a faster and more ''doable'' proccesor
BArton v. athlon?

then go to www.tomshardware.com and check out the interactive cpu comparison tool. by the best you can afford now. if you can buy local and have the SELLER put it in, that would be best even if it is a few bucks more, cause there are rarely any returns on cpu's

also check out www.videoguys.com build your own at three price points(for later, when you replace) and for now the xp tweaks articles....good stuff.

best of luck, and pm me to let me know how it turned out.

Back