Athlon 64 and Pro Tools.

I'm looking into building a computer for a Pro Tools unit and as I'm looking at the Digidesign site I notice that under "known incompatibilities" they list Athlon 64 processors as incompatible with with Pro Tools 6.4.
http://digidesign.com/compato/xp/002/ look down at the bottom of the page.
But then on another page they state that Athlon 64 is proven to run stable with Pro Tools. Am I looking at something wrong or what not?? Anyone have a 64 that they know for sure runs with Pro Tools...or is digi just being stupid in saying that? Thanks guys.

benny , with respect the world is changing rapidly in recording software.
low cost packages will let you do a great song. the ONLY thing of importance is the a/d/a convertors being good, and good mics an pre's.
talk to people whove run all the pkges out there. while pro tools is good it IS quite a price.
get your amd 64 system put a decent sound card in it like rme or lynx
(if you want top range) or even a delta. put ntrack or traktion or magix music studio 2005 on it. and be happy. youll be doing great songs.
all less than 100 bucks. if you think i'm lying just try the demoes at hitsquad.com and talk to users of the pkges. or if you dont believe me go to pgmusic.com and talk to some very knowledgeable folks on there in the powertracks forum whove used every pkge under the sun and ask them what they think of powertracks for 29 bucks compared to other products.
its all good these days.

Hi Benny,

I don't agree with manning: I should go for the Pro Tools : great stable software.

I have a bit of the same problem: I am going to buy a 002 rack but I'm also not sure what CHipset I can use...

Maybe mail digidesign about it?

brett - no problem with folks disagreeing with me.
but could you list the technical reasons why ?
have you ever tried the solutions i recommended ? to compare ?
i'm also curious if you would list the advantages of your recommendation from a technical perspective.

Thanks for your responses guys. However, I've set my mind on Pro Tools. I've used other programs out there (n-track, logic, acid, nuendo) and feel that Pro Tools is way above the rest. True, it is expensive, but I feel like I'm going to be getting my money's worth. I also feel that Pro Tools is a big standard in the industry. So if I ever need to take a session from one computer to home to work on it...I can do that.

Some features I like about Pro Tools include Loop recording (great feature), it's two voice punching in, it's stability, it's file organization and management (unlike with Nuendo's file Pool that I have to open up in a separate window...i have all my files and regions in an attached window), ability to make my own groove quanitzations (although in LE version I won't be able to do that, but i can make it somewhere else and bring it to my home), tab to transient feature, ability to create my own crossfades easily, and even some of it's MIDI functions. Plus I really like some of the plugins that are bundled with every Pro Tools system. I could go on and on about the features that I like, but I think a lot of the reason I've decided on Pro Tools is because I've had experience with it and would rather get a program I already know instead of one where I'm going to have to learn all over again. I know a lot of other programs have some of these features, but I've yet to see one who encompasses a lot of them that I like. But I appreciate your input.

And brett-
If you find out anything about the 64 CPU then let me know. I think I might ask digi here soon though. But I have to also bite the bullet and decide to spend twice the amount on the 64 than on the P4. But I'm hearing it's stability with Pro Tools and computers in general is definitely stronger than the P4. Take it easy alls. :cool:

bennychico11 said:
Thanks for your responses guys. However, I've set my mind on Pro Tools. I've used other programs out there (n-track, logic, acid, nuendo) and feel that Pro Tools is way above the rest. True, it is expensive, but I feel like I'm going to be getting my money's worth. I also feel that Pro Tools is a big standard in the industry. So if I ever need to take a session from one computer to home to work on it...I can do that.

Some features I like about Pro Tools include Loop recording (great feature), it's two voice punching in, it's stability, it's file organization and management (unlike with Nuendo's file Pool that I have to open up in a separate window...i have all my files and regions in an attached window), ability to make my own groove quanitzations (although in LE version I won't be able to do that, but i can make it somewhere else and bring it to my home), tab to transient feature, ability to create my own crossfades easily, and even some of it's MIDI functions. Plus I really like some of the plugins that are bundled with every Pro Tools system. I could go on and on about the features that I like, but I think a lot of the reason I've decided on Pro Tools is because I've had experience with it and would rather get a program I already know instead of one where I'm going to have to learn all over again. I know a lot of other programs have some of these features, but I've yet to see one who encompasses a lot of them that I like. But I appreciate your input.

And brett-
If you find out anything about the 64 CPU then let me know. I think I might ask digi here soon though. But I have to also bite the bullet and decide to spend twice the amount on the 64 than on the P4. But I'm hearing it's stability with Pro Tools and computers in general is definitely stronger than the P4. Take it easy alls. :cool:

Hey guys

Benny, you made myu entire point clear. I work on Pro Tools because it is the industry standard, plus it has been the best experience working with Pro Tools. I worked with Nuendo, CEP, Cubase, and Logic Audio, and when it comes to audio Pro tools gives me the most secure feeling. It has a bit more of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it is faster and more versatile than all the others in my opinion.

On the CPU, I may be a woosy, but I really am afraid doing something different than the digidesign way, wo I am polanning to buy a P4. If hear anything about the 64, I'll post it here.

Manning, yoursolution is also a great one, they all have there pro's and cons.

greetz

Thanks for the response Brett...
and Manning, and everyone else who agrees with him, now that I told you my opinion, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you DON'T like Pro Tools or Digi stuff. Is it because of cost reasons?? I'm the first to understand completely that money can be tight sometimes and that you need a cost effective way to get your audio into the computer, but at the same time usually (of course not everytime!) the more money you put into your gear the better the end result. And I think your solution would work manning, but can you suggest an A/D converter with 4 excellent mic pres and 4 lines in and 8 corresponding outs?? And all less than the 002?? Of course the A/D converters and pres on the 002 aren't AMAZING quality, but I'd be willing to bet if you did find some of amazing quality, it would all add up to a lot more than the 002. Again, the audio world is all about opinion...so whatever works for you, then great! :cool:

with respect i suggest you guys dig deep around the posts at prosoundweb.com particularly on the subject of the mix bus.
all the best to you both.

Back