Atari for Home-Recording

Proximus

A last question for today!

When I talked to a friend about homerecording, he told me to use a Atari (a really old computer). Would this really be any good? What are the advantages? Is there still software existing for it? What is the basic equipment I would have to get (software, hardware) to be able to use it?

Again greetings from Switzerland (a little european country, situated between Germany, Austria, Italy and France)

Good for what is the question. If your doing midi sequencing sure, doesn't take much horsepower for that type of stuff. But for recording miced sound sources, at a reasonable bit depth and sampling rate, the Atari ain't gonna cut it. I can't imagine why anyone would recommend an Atari to you. Although, Pong was a lot of fun.

heh
I worked in a 1" - 16 track studio back in around 87-88 ... and the studio owner had an Atari. He had a cool flight simulation game on it is all I can remember about it. I think he used it for sequencing once in a while but I rarely saw it with the sequencer up - old green-screen cakewalk I think?? I dunno what it was, really. I do remember that flight sim game though ... that was really cool for it's time.
Since then I haven't even seen an Atari computer ... I didn't think they made them anymore. Even if they did ... only buy it to play Space Invaders (or cool flight sims).
:)
Get a PC for your audio.

Yeah.. Pong was really cool, but when Frogger came out I quit grade school and started playing guitar! Maybe use the Pong controllers as DJ mix pads or something-

Proximus, the computer you are talking about is the Atari ST. It was a Moterola-based computer (like early Macs) that was arround in the 1980s and early 1990s. It has been dead for some time, like its competitor the Commodore Amiga. The ST was unique in computer history because it was the first (and only) computer to have a MIDI port built in as standard equipment. So some can still be found in use as keyboard controllers and sequences.

It is absolutely too weak to be used for multi-track digital recording.

As for pong, ..... go ask your dad!

Proximus: Pong was a cool multiplayer (2) game where you batted a white dot on the screen back and forth, sorta like digital tennis. It was an early nintendo in the home market, from my vague memory it seems like maybe around 79 to 81.

JMarcomb: Don't get the pong-pad scratchers in here.. don't need another 7-pager. :)

Being 24 years old I figured everybody knew what Pong was. Hmm ..bad assumption. Like Emeric said it was the Nintendo of its time. Even though my cats electronic flea collar has more power than the 'ol Atari system, it was groovy. No.. rad is the right word ..it came out around '80--
and instead of using the Pong paddle for a Dj pad maybe try using it as a hampster running disc. for Emerics sake. :)

Back