Asus P2b-f? Cpu? Stuff?

I know THAT.. the dude was saying that the newer cpus run at a higher voltage than my board can deliver....

I think he was just talking.

oxox

No, that was me. I don't know a DAAAAAMN thing about what ya'll are talking about.

Well, I do, I suppose, but not like YOU know it. Overclocking bastards. I oughtta turn ya'll in...

:D

Overclocking is very simple. Just plug your computer into 220 instead of 110. Just kiding.
Like Eurythmic said cooling becomes a critical issue. Cooling usually means more fans, which results in more noise. This is something which is not good for music application.
Better go for a new processor.

I know people who overclock, and I used to do it all the time back in the "old" days - running a 486-66 at 80 and stuff. WHOA!

But I rarely fiddle with it anymore, the speed differences aren't that much and I would rather have solid reliability. The overclockers I know are mostly Quake and Unreal players, trying to get the absolute fastest frame rate they can. For doing recording, I'd rather just stay conservative. I do agree though that the Celeron is THE prime chip for overclocking - I think Intel must rate them very conservatively.

It seems to me that the Celeron benefits from always being re-released just when Intel has come up with a new chip manufacturing process. You're right, so many of them have been overclocking champs...

I don't think it's worth the risk, though - chip prices are so insanely low. That $30 that you'll need to spend for a monster fan would get you another few hundred megahertz of CPU speed, or whatever... there just isn't a lot of point in putting the strain on your components.

Intel just released a 1.2ghz Celeron, by the way. It's priced at about $130. 100mhz FSB, 256kb of L2 cache. Doesn't look like it's quite as fast as the 1ghz PIII, but still looks like a terrific chip. It's based on the Tualatin core. And apparently, thanks to once again a new chip manufacturing process, it's easily overclockable to 1.5ghz.

But no thanks to the new manufacturing process, you'll have to buy a motherboard that specificially supports Tualatin (which looks like it will have a very short shelf life).

Computers just blow me away. Seems like just yesterday I was chomping at the bit to get the new Celeron 466mhz, for something like $170. And what an updrade that was, from my old Pentium I/200mhz. :)

IM NOT PLANNING ON OVERCLOCKING MY CELLY!!!

I already do that, with much success.

what I want to do is run the fastest proceesor I can in this board.... since it only has an 8.0 multiplyer... I think only 800@ 100mhzfsb.... BUT!!!!!!!

the wierd asian kid at the computer store said my P2BF wont output ENOUGH voltage to run a coppermine. I've never used a flip-chip slocket converter.. and I know they have some voltage controls on it.......

SO

does anyone know the voltage to run a 800mhz celly, not o/c'd??

AND does anyone know how much voltage my p2bf can put out?? ( I cant find it in my inebrieated state...)

you guys rule!

xoxo

Hmmm... I can figure it out Monday, when I'm back at work with my stack of ASUS manuals.
I would guess that the same voltage for a PIII 550 would also work at 800.
A similar case: I have a later ASUS Slot 1 board that lists compatibility up to 733 (if I remember correctly). But the multiplier was good up to 933, so I bought a 933 flip chip with slot adaptor. Droped the sucker in, didn't change any voltage, and I'm typing on it now.

Well I looked through the P2B manual, and it doesn't say dick about playing with the CPU voltage. The only mention is adjusting the voltage on ASUS's slot to socket cpu card, and it basicly says don't touch it. I seem to recall my adaptor (not an ASUS brand) said pretty much the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back