ASIO what is this?

Hello all,

Can somebody out there clear up a little question I've got.

What the hell is ASIO.

I'm just starting to check out all the options availabe for hard disk recording and this little acronym is annoying me because I don't know exactly what it refers too. From my researching so far this is what I understand it to be:

a driver that you get when you buy a soundcard that interfaces your new card with the software program you are using to record/edit with. (How did I go?)

This leads me to another query. I use a Mac computer and I've noticed there aren't a lot of cards out there that have Mac drivers. But, do you need a Mac driver if the card ships with ASIO drivers for the Macintosh edit/record software you're using (e.g. Cubase VST for MacOS)?

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Maybe this will clarify what I'm driving at. I'm liking the looks of the Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 but I went to their homepage and it says the card is only supported on windows 98. However I've read other reviews and stuff (Mix Magazine online for example) which say this card can be used on a Mac. How???? Please help. I want to get my new card but which one. An answer to this question will assist me in ways you cant imagine. :)

Back