ASIO Nightmares

Grey_Sabbath

I haven't recorded much of anything since 2013. Since then, I've upgraded everything just about, except sound card hardware.

My specs:

AMD FX 6300 3.5ghz
16gb Ram
Windows 10, all updates.
X-fi Platinum sound card with front-end interface.

Using Acid Pro 8 from magix along with various plugins from all over, mostly "amplitube" actually.

I am not sure if ASIO is still the thing to tackle latency and things not wanting to playback. But I have too many options now:

Asio for all, Creative Asio, and Asio2wasapi (which doesn't seem to want to be used for recording.)

I cannot find a setting with anything that lets me record and playback without hassle or issue.

I don't know where to start anymore and every adjustment is an adventure into deep menus, apply, ok etc with a lot of restart the app thrown in for good measure...very time consuming I'm losing entire days of recording :(

Can someone tell me where to begin? Which thing should I use?

I know someone will probably tell me to get a proper sound card, but the X-fi Platinum was supposed to be for audio creation...was that just a joke or is it just so ancient? (The cards people say to get don't seem any newer, really.)

Thanks for any help.

Why don't you start by finding the drivers for your soundcard that work in Win 10...instead of using all those other generic ASIO options?

Creative Worldwide Support > X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

I haven't recorded much of anything since 2013.

...very time consuming I'm losing entire days of recording :(

Well...after not recording for 5 years...I don't think spending some time getting your DAW rig in order is a waste of time. ;)

PS....yes, that soundcard is "ancient"...but as long as you can find current Win 10 drivers for it, it should still work as intended.

Yes, get a new interface. The Creative S(of a)B cards were never much cop for recording although the playback converter quality was said to be very good.

ASIO4All is a kludge for kit that does not have its own ASIO drivers, works but not ideal.

As for all the menu bashing? I can only speak for my NI KA6 but all I do is power up the desktop where it lives most of the time, open Samplitude Prox 3 (or any one of a 1/2 doz other DAWs including Reaper). Call up a track and BOOM! All is ready to play. If I want to record I just set the track(s) up and, because I did it 3 months or so ago, Sam PX3 'knows' I want the KA6 ASIO setup.

Now, this HP laptop is setup for the internal card to drive K92 cans but if I want to use the KA6 instead it is a matter of moments to set Pro X3 to ASIO drivers and the NI AI.

I am sure others here with modern AIs share my experience? Oh! And the desktop also houses and 'ancient' M-A 2496 but that is no bother to run either (in fact I can play the 2496 and record on the KA6)

All this is with Win7 but I have used the KA6 on W10 and it was fine. I confess I have not tried it since for some weeks and there has been a BIG update? Will try to fire up the mothballed machine anon.

Dave.

Why don't you start by finding the drivers for your soundcard that work in Win 10...instead of using all those other generic ASIO options?

Although Creative isn't "Officially" supporting windows 10 on these legacy cards, I did find and install a pack that some ninja within Creative put together and threw up deep in their forum somewhere.

So, drivers are as updated as humanly possible.

PCI soundcard driver support is hard to come by anymore....I know, I still run multiple external converter boxes that use PCI cards to communicate with the computer/DAW...and the last drivers issues just made it to Win7, which is what I use for my DAW, which runs offline and is a DAW-only computer, so I can still ride it like this for a long time.
If I ever moved to Win10...I would be also be S.O.L....and probably needing to upgrade to new converters or make do with jury-rigging with generic drivers.

I guess you can figure out what I'm saying...either cobble it together, deal with the issues, and make do as best as you can...or up your game a bit.
There are much better interfaces than that Creative soundcard, that can be had pretty cheap these days, and that will run fine with Win10.
It might save you a lot of time and effort. :)

I suppose. I'm living in the past with this X-Fi card, totally drank the creative Kool-aid back in the day. I don't remember when the X-Fi came out, but I believe I've had it as long as I can remember...maybe as early as 1998? I've even replaced it with the same thing a couple of times. Ug.

Acid is almost letting me do what I want it to do...cue up a track for recording, turn monitor on, and be able to hear the track's effects in real-time while recording (because well, if you're working with metal you sort of want distortion) while recording a totally clean raw track. In the old days I would turn Amplitube on (standalone) and just monitor that way, computer was mighty and didn't blink about it...now I can't do that either without playback getting choppy. Six cores is not enough? 16gb not enough??? Ug.

I think I may be on to a problem though...I realize I didn't change default folders from C to something better. (C drive is SSD) Could this be causing all sorts of problems?

I think maybe?

I'd go +1 on upgrading the card or, rather, replacing it with an external interface.
It's one of those; If it works and it serves your needs then cool, but no one's likely to recommend it.

I'd look at something modern; USB or whatever...drivers for Win10.

What's your set up like? Did you use the digital IO?

I sold my external Creative SB box to some podcaster wannabe a long time ago. Only thing it had going for it was 5.1 connections, not that I ever used it for that

It's definitely time to join the 21st century and buy an audio interface. Things have come a long way since 1998. Hell, things have come a long way since 2008! Solid preamps, solid converters, occasionally solid drivers...all for a bill or two. You'll be amazed at what's available today once you get to shopping. Even the low end of the budget spectrum of today's interfaces are going to destroy what Creative was doing in the 1990s.

Even if you get it working, how long before you change the computer and don't have the card socket any longer? It's sad but music technology is a constant evolution and expense.

Back