ASIO???

bdemenil

Could someone please explain to me what ASIO is. All I know is that my soundcard (delta 66) supports it and that ntrack gets buggy (understatement) when I try to set it to use the ASIO device drivers.

from http://www.whatis.com

Audio Stream Input/Output

ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output), developed by Steinberg, is a cross-platform, multi-channel audio transfer protocol that is being adopted by many of the manufacturers of audio/MIDI sequencing applications. It allows software to have access to the multi-channel capabilities of a wide range of powerful sound cards.

ASIO expands on the basic capabilities of a standard computer sound card, most of which can only provide stereo (two-channel) audio input and output. The ASIO specification defines the interface that manufacturers of professional audio sound cards must use to create an ASIO driver for their hardware. This driver allows the host audio/MIDI application to "see" all of the inputs and outputs available on the sound card. The user can then assign these I/O ports as needed for recording or playback when using an ASIO-compatible software program. This allows the users to record more tracks simultaneously than the previous limitation of two channels imposed by a standard sound card.

Read more about it at:

http://www.steinberg.net

One thing they don't mention is that ASIO reduces the latency. i.e, the time it takes to hear the result of moving a fader, adjusting an effect etc..

interesting...

well that was very informative , cheers emeric...
for some reason i always believed it was a type of standard for drivers , kind of an organisation ... well at least now i know ... cheers

thanks

thanks spider - I often don't post replied, but it doesn't mean I don't read and appreciate the helpfull info
Ben

ASIO is a unperfected beauty, it will be nice when they get it down and all the bugs out, but for now its a little unstable with many programs. Logic Audio for example(awsome software) Gets very buggy with ASIO drivers, as do many programs still. Its something to look forward to but right now its something to hold off on in my opinion, unless you enjoy being a beta tester.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

I used ASIO 1 for 8 months with no problems, and now ASIO 2 with no problems. It's far beyond beta. But I agree it is very software/hardware dependent as to any bugs one might encounter.

It's my understanding that the bugs with Logic and ASIO are in Logic's programming. ASIO is just a specification.

Re: interesting...

Spider said:
well that was very informative , cheers emeric...
for some reason i always believed it was a type of standard for drivers , kind of an organisation ... well at least now i know ... cheers

of course you do - it stands for Australian Security and Intelligence Organisation - ASIO - our version of the CIA.
;););) say no more

haahaa , i thought it was an organisation .... so u think ASIO have breached copyright... so my first presumption was right then , heehee....

"Australian Security and Intelligence Organisation"

Are those the people responsible for the videos which:

a) attempt to discourage illegal immigration into Australia via ship offloading onto the north shores

b) by portraying crocodile-infested, mosquito- and snake-ridden Queensland bayous which greet anyone unlucky and/or stupid enough to try to reach Sydney that way?

I think it's pretty intelligent, anyway. Beats having to put em up for months in compounds and not knowing what to do with em.

think thats the one ....
but for our population we actually have a very high rate of immigration, one of the highest actually.. and when guests to our country start riots i think we have a right to kick some arse out of this country.........
just a thought....

Hey dobro I live in queensland and I have seen many a folk taken at lightning speed from the rivers edge .They seem to favour american retired holiday makers in tracksuits and baseball caps.
Oh and a hello to you spider remember me ? the ISIS user in Queensland ,how is your system going. I.ve scored a older version of cool edit off a freind and it's not bad.I still have problems with logic using downloaded plugins.
I borrowed a full platinum version of logic and that will take downloaded plugins no worrys at all but it drains my humble system. So if cool edit works and logic works(full version) I reckon the problem must be in Logic SE that comes with the ISIS card.
take care out there ,pete

Back