Arguments for Mac over PC

Sweetnighter

For my senior project at school, I'm doing a recording project, and I need a little help. My school has an endowment for senior projects in creativity. In the past, this program has handed up to $5,000 for students to do independent projects, so long as the school can acquire any expensive equipment bought for the project after its completed. So, basically, I'd be getting a decent recording setup, funded by the school, which I would be returning to the school once the project ends. As part of my system, I want to use a Mac iBook, because, from my limited knowledge, Macs simply run better for recording purposes. So, what that means is that I have to put up a good argument with the board of the endowment committee to argue why I want a Mac over a PC. Can you help me with this? I need good arguments, not speculative ones. The only thing I can think of is that it comes with GarageBand...

Sweetnighter said:
For my senior project at school, I'm doing a recording project, and I need a little help. My school has an endowment for senior projects in creativity. In the past, this program has handed up to $5,000 for students to do independent projects, so long as the school can acquire any expensive equipment bought for the project after its completed. So, basically, I'd be getting a decent recording setup, funded by the school, which I would be returning to the school once the project ends. As part of my system, I want to use a Mac iBook, because, from my limited knowledge, Macs simply run better for recording purposes. So, what that means is that I have to put up a good argument with the board of the endowment committee to argue why I want a Mac over a PC. Can you help me with this? I need good arguments, not speculative ones. The only thing I can think of is that it comes with GarageBand...

First of all, from your 'limited knowledge', how did you determine that Mac was better than PC? Secondly, Would you like me to write the report for you too? Use the damn search function, do a little bit of work on your own.

Well, to me, its always seemed something of a toss-up... and I'm just getting into it, so I don't really know. I have a friend who uses an iBook with Motu and loves it. I know some good reasons, such as the high processor speed with little noise, powerful processor, firewire connection with good latency, GarageBand software... but aside from GarageBand, I guess I can't really see how Macs stand out against PCs. I guess a part of it is that I've been a PC user since I first sat down at a computer and I'm fed up with them. Sorry if I sounded like a total idiot, but I guess I'm just a little ancy about this project, and I want to get a system that will do what I want. I've checked out the specs (www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html) and I suppose its just something I would like to get. Another part of it is that there are so many PC laptops and so few Macs, so I hardly know where to start with PCs. My mom has a Dell Inspiron laptop, but those don't seem to really compare... the iBook has 512MB, whereas the top Dell Inspiron only carries 256MB. Both have 30GB HD's... the Dells processors seem to run faster, but both systems run fast enough such that it wouldn't really make a difference anyway. I don't see firewire on the Dells either... unless I'm totally missing something?

what software program are you going to try and run? Garageband?? then get a mac. i think that's what you need to decide on...is what program you want to use. i'd personally say if you're getting a mac just for garageband, then the school is wasting their money.

and why a laptop?
You're never going to get a definitive answer on whether Mac or PC is better...because neither one is better than the other. They're both computers. And people have opinions on which one they like better. If it was me, I'd stick with a desktop PC 'cause it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a PC or Mac laptop or Mac tower, and invest in a good software program and soundcard. Besides, how long are you doing this project? Just a few months and then you'll be handing over the computer to the school? Get some kick ass gear and microphones/monitors and a PC. You'll invest your money in the real important part of the signal chain, and then just give it to the school and let them worry about what happens with it in the future. If it dies in a year, who cares...you don't have to deal with it.
:cool: ;)

Neither is better.
The best tool is the one you know how to use.

Personally I like to build my own PC's becuase then I know *exactly* what's in them, can maintain them more easily, can scope out compatability issues before they arise etc etc.

I'm also used to the Windows interface (athough I use a Unix command-line in work I wouldn't fancy audio editing by text commands ;) ).

Get whatever suits your fancy (and budget) though.
Ignore the fanboys who say Mac or PC are better. Frankly they don't know what they're talking about.

I posted this cartoon in another Mac V PC thread, but it's so good I'm gonna do it again:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=142

you can get a fine recording pc, or even an awesome one, for under a grand. any 500-700 dollar pc will be fine, for the most part. don't take me so literaly, but you know. ha.

that said, IBOOKS are fucking expensive - AND it's a laptop. think about what you actually need.

$5,000 is mad cash, and you can get some amazing equipment with that kind of cash, really....wow. ha.

shackrock said:
$5,000 is mad cash, and you can get some amazing equipment with that kind of cash.
I agree. If you take your time and do your research you can find some incredible deals out there. And don't just skim the surface of the Performer/ProTools/GarageBand lazy stuff. PC's do take a little work and research, but in my experience a little sweat equity pays off big - like half as much dosh for an equivalent PC as compared to the price of a Mac.

Fed up with PCs, eh? Interesting...I've been down the same road in the opposite direction. I was a devout Mac zealot since high school and truth be told at one time the Mac GUI was honest-to-dog perfection compared to the clunky Windows of the time. High-end Macs are great when they belong to your school or office and someone else has paid for them, or if you or your parents have got deep pockets. But here's where I was nuttered by reality: when it comes time to buying your own computer, you realize that 1) Macs are effing expensive; 2) Apple is still defiantly proprietary; 3) as much as you hate to admit it, those evil trolls at Microsoft have somewhat gotten their act together with regards to operating systems and GUIs; and 4) you have an awful lot of hardware and software options with the wintel platform, especially if you decide to build your own.

I'm a peon with a beige 300 mHz G3 Mac that I inherited from my old company when they went under. It was state-of-the-art then. The way I hear it, nowadays it will barely run OSX, much less any of the current music software I finally want to start buying/using. In a day when 1 gHz is considered slow, last generation's 400 mHz G4 tower on ebay is at least $350. Eh...you know, I'm not quite so fanatically attached to Macs anymore. Now that I've decided to upgrade to a modern system with recording in mind, guess what? I'm building an AthlonXP based box. It'll be plenty powerful, and it'll be way way cheaper.

The old Mac vs. PC war is so brain-dead anymore, I wouldn't get caught up in it if I were you, especially if you don't know much of the difference and you might possibly be easily swayed by partisans on either side. Use what you have, use what you're used to, or use what you can afford. Either platform--configured correctly, with the right software, and if it's of recent enough vintage--will do the job. If someone's handing you $5000, I say put together a basic AthlonXP- or Athlon 64-based PC with a good motherboard and plenty of memory, and spend all the extra cash on every whizbang recording software suite, plugin, and hardware doodad in the store. OTOH, by my estimation $5000 will just about cover a new high-end Mac CPU, a good-sized monitor, and maybe a Digi002/ProTools LE package. That's IT.

From your school's perspective, a loaded PC will probably simply be a better return on their investment. That's about as strong an argument as you could make to them. "Macs are cool and they come with Garageband already loaded" probably won't cut it.

JMO

cheers

Billy S.

Last edited:
I'd go for an AMD Opteron based system. It's the best performing system I've worked on. Opteron CPUs are about equivalent per MHz to G5s. The Opteron architecture is incredibly stable. To top it off, dual core opterons are just around the corner - promising a good upgrade path.

If you want, I can help you spec out a system. I put together a killer Dual opteron machine with a Dell 19" LCD monitor for about $1600. You need to buy from a vendor that does custom systems.

Dude, you're lucky. I'm doing my senior project on recording too, but I had to buy all my stuff. I got the newest 15" Powerbook to do this thing. My CD is due on the 15th and I'm not even done tracking yet.

Garageband sucks if you have tempo changes; it just can't do it. I recommend Logic Express. They have a 30-day trial on their website if you can pull off the recording in a month.

If your school is buying the stuff, you can get a pretty decent Education discount over at the Apple Store.

One argument you can use is that "Apples are an industry standard". Maybe it's cause people in the industry are rich and they can afford Macs, but there's no doubt about it; Macs are all over the entertainment biz!

Why on earth are some of you complaining about him wanting a laptop for recording? Have you done YOUR homework? Aside from being portable, they certainly pack more than enough power to get the job done. And if you actually read articles (from recording mags) you'd find that many working musicians are going to laptops to fill their recording needs. In fact, many professionals are using them as well.

As for Mac vs. PC? I like Mac, you may like Windows. So use what you like and leave it at that. They can both get the job done. There's no questioning that.

wow, well thats a lot of pretty strong opposition... and i must say i'm pretty convinced. In that case, what pc laptop should I get? Yes I'm swayed from the mac, but I still want a laptop, for a few reasons. 1) I need something portable to move from school and home, since i plan on recording at both and 2) if i can buy back the laptop from the school at project's end, then i won't have to worry about getting one for college. So, that said, what should I look for? With so many systems I have no idea where to start! Right now here's what I plan on getting in terms of my system:

Presonus Firepod + Cubase LE package
Reason 3.0
Evolution 61-key MIDI controller
Control Surface (haven't decided which to get)

And I already own:
Behringer Truth B2030A active studio monitors
MS2000B Korg Synth
Fretless Bass
Direct Box
Behringer Eurorack UB1202
three booms
plenty of 1/4" and XLR cables

*The school will pay for the mastering/pressing of the CDs as well

So, what PC laptop system is worth exploring and is there any other software or stuff I might need?

*NOTE ALSO:

My proposal is due next friday... so although I do have some time, I need some answers pretty soon. I'm going to be doing my own research in the meantime, but any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Back