Aren't MP3 DEcoders supposed to be equal?!

Extremely interesting...

I've now downloaded one of the winners to use in the finals of the Encoder shootout to make sure nothing fishy goes on! :)

And it gave another reason to use MusicMatch, it has an *almost* flawless result, and another reason NOT to use the Lame encoder, since it produces MP3's that are hard to decode...

I happen to disagree about not using LAME. LAME is a 100% compliant encoder/decoder. If the decoder can't decode compliant bit streams, it's the DECODER that is the problem and not LAME. I refuse to ditch a superior encoder because some popular decoders are brain damaged :D.

It's a political/religious issue for me :D. I don't like patents being involved with "open standards". It's very consumer unfriendly. Besides, with continuing improvements, the LAME codec has met and even exceeded the quality of the FhG encoders (try remembering the last Fraunhofer update; and FhG still doesn't have a working VBR encoder to my knowlege).

I'd like to hear the details of the encoder shoot-out, is this something you're doing yourself?

Yup, its all me.

Theres not much details to share yet. What do you want to know?

*I* want to get my hands on wav files that are hard to encode. :)

Back