apps not compatible with later Windows versions

paresh

Hi - When I finally upgrade to a new computer I need to keep using XP for music recording apps I use that will not be compatible with later Windows editions. Any advice? Thanks.

Are you sure about that?

Win7 shouldn't have any problem running XP apps (unless the company specifically says so)

Please give us examples of what you think won't run.

Windows 7 backwards compatibility is pretty good. There are some apps, however, that won't run. I couldn't get my version of Nero 7 to install and that's relatively new.

Try right clicking the app, click the compatibility tab, and tell Windows to run it in Windows XP SP3 mode (or SP2, or SP1). Sometimes that does the trick.

Cheers :)

I used to use Cakewalk Pro 9 - it ran under Windows 98, but not under XP. :) That was the last music program I had a Windows compatibility issue with.

As was said, with old apps you will want to install in compatibility mode, but you will also want to "install as administrator". Between those two, most things work.

Oh and btw - Nero 6 is not Win 7 compatible, but my Nero 7 works fine.

Thanks. I did the right click for compatibility & windows 2000 was the latest one listed. However I haven't upgraded yet...just doing some homework in case my computer gives out & I have to get a new one in a hurry.

Modern windows is pretty good at backward compatibility. However, I'd say there's one other consideration before upgrading your OS: Do you require any of the features that have been introduced in subsequent versions? e.g. Does Win 7 have better memory management than XP such that you'll see improved performance? Do you need the most recent drivers from XP to communicate with more recent hardware?

If the answer is no, I might stick with the old version. Every extra feature that they added is sapping system resources that you could be using to power your recording software.

I didn't realize I had a choice? If my computer dies I thought I wouldn't be able to get a new one that still runs XP?

Actually, as long as you meet the minimum system requirements, Windows 7 actually runs a lot more efficiently than XP. Ever tried to access anything on the desktop in XP once it as booted fresh? The icons are THERE but you can't do anything for a good minute or so while the background gets going.

In Windows 7 the desktop is available almost immediately.

Cheers :)

I agree that Windows 7 runs very well, and has good compatibility.

I also generally agree with the "if its not broke don't fix it" philosophy. You can PROBABLY run Windows XP on any new hardware you buy. It all depends on finding all the drivers you need, and so many people are still running XP that most hardware companies are still writing drivers for it.

In my line of work my problem is usually the opposite, trying to make old hardware work with Windows 7. But the odds are you can still run XP if you want to.

I didn't realize I had a choice? If my computer dies I thought I wouldn't be able to get a new one that still runs XP?

I wanted to run XP on my new quad core a year or so ago and it was a no go...though ive had very few problems on Win 7, certainly none now...

Windows 7 pro will run in XP mode, link.

Get 7 Pro, which is exactly what I will get on my next computer.

I had my first experience with windows 7 yesterday as my wife's computer (XP Pro) died and I bought her an on special laptop with windows 7 home on it. I must say it was very easy to use and ran very well, loaded all the old files (I managed to recover) and the old email applications I put on it (even though it was for XP). I am an old windows user, 3.1, 98, 2000, Xp pre, and also Mac's through the years, and there is almost a bit of a mac feel about windows 7.

Alan.

Windows 7 pro will run in XP mode, link.

Get 7 Pro, which is exactly what I will get on my next computer.

I had my first experience with windows 7 yesterday as my wife's computer (XP Pro) died and I bought her an on special laptop with windows 7 home on it. I must say it was very easy to use and ran very well, loaded all the old files (I managed to recover) and the old email applications I put on it (even though it was for XP). I am an old windows user, 3.1, 98, 2000, Xp pre, and also Mac's through the years, and there is almost a bit of a mac feel about windows 7.

Alan.

While "XP Mode" in Win 7 pro is a useful tool for running some corporate apps, I would not hold out too much hope in it working efficiently for a DAW. Its basically running a software emulation of XP (Like Macs running Parallels) and that is fine for software but once you add hardware & drivers to the mix things can get knarly pretty quick.

The PC I mainly use this days is a AMD Phenom II, it has two bootable hard drives, one with Windows 7 and one with XP. A simple change in the BIOS switches which drive it boots to. I think that's the best solution IF you can find the drivers you need for your new hardware.

I used to use Cakewalk Pro 9 - it ran under Windows 98, but not under XP. :) That was the last music program I had a Windows compatibility issue with.

As was said, with old apps you will want to install in compatibility mode, but you will also want to "install as administrator". Between those two, most things work.

Oh and btw - Nero 6 is not Win 7 compatible, but my Nero 7 works fine.

Oh and I forgot one more thing - you will have better compatibility (especially with drivers) if you stick with the 32 bit version of Win 7 than with the 64 bit. Providing that you can live with 3.5 gigs or less of RAM, which almost everyone can. Where I work were are switching most people from XP to Win 7 32, but developers get Win 7 64. We've already run across about a half-dozen old programs that we can make run under Win 7 32, but under 64 bit its a 'SORRY'.

Back