application to use for pitch shift?....

ryan_temp

This isn't so much a recording problem... I just need a suggestion on an application to use if possible.

Problem:
I have a CD that was somehow mastered and manufactured at too fast a speed. That is, the songs sound borderline 'chipmunkish' as if a tape was played back at too fast a speed...I can't get a "corrected" version of the CD as it's not available in the States...So I was hoping that I could use one of the programs to slow-it-down or lower the pitch back to the "normal" sound. I have Sonar XL and Acid 3. I can probably utilize a buddy's copy of Sound Forge if I need to. Will one of these, or anything, fix this? Has anyone done anything like this recording or otherwise?

Thanks,
Ryan

maybe you should try importing the wav file into ACID & adjust the BPM's until you think that the wav sounds right. If you can get it to a suitable speed, have your pal re-sample it in soundforge & burn another copy for you.

You could try that, but be aware that anything beyond a small range of changes is going to sound a bit weird.

Sounds to me as if someone has recorded everything at 96k and then not converted to 44.1 for normal CD. Just get a smaple rate converter plugin.

It looks like I was able to get a listenable track by importing the wav file into Sonar and pitch-shifting it down -1.1 or so. I guess I'll just have to give a careful listen to what sounds right and experiment. I appreciate everybody's input and help! Thanks much.

PS - Prosoniq looks like a really cool and powerful tool, but I'm on a PC DAW and it looks like it's mostly for Mac.

ryan_temp said:
PS - Prosoniq looks like a really cool and powerful tool, but I'm on a PC DAW and it looks like it's mostly for Mac.

About half of the Prosoniq line only runs on Mac. TimeFactory which contains their exceptional time and pitch scaling algorithms, and which is the most unique and important of their products in my opinion, runs on both the PC and Mac.

barefoot

I ended up using Acid Pro. Sonar did it ok, but it had some loss. Acid shifted it down perfectly. It was actually the first time I've used Acid for anything, so there was a bit of a learning curve but I figured it out eventually. Very cool. Thanks again.

Back