Apogee One with Macbook Pro.. Horrible static? Whats the cause???

music_man

Hi guys. Kinda new to the whole recording thing so please be kind. I've looked around the forums and found similar topics but none with exactly my problem so thought I'd post to see if anyone could help me.

I'm running Logic pro X on my Macbook Pro and I'm using an apogee one as my audio interface but I am having horrible static and hum etc.

I've tried my best to isolate the problem but can't seem to find it. I've disconnected my guitar from the 1/4 jack and plugged my headphones in but still there. Ive tried disconnecting the power supply to my mac (just running off the battery) and this did seem to reduce it a bit but still there. Ive tried moving cables around, repositioning my guitar, laptop loads of things but don't know whats going on.

Am I correct in thinking that you shouldn't hear any static or will you always get a bit?

Can programs running on your computer cause this?
Or wireless wi-fi nearby?
Any help would be very much appreciated...thanks

monitors hooked up?

is your pre gain are turned up and nothing connected?

wifi might be close but I doubt that is the problem.

the problem most likely is the connection type you have (firewire)

all of those prosumer interfaces (firewire/usb), they are a quick and easy way to connect, but they do not isolate the recording gear. so you will have noise.

now since you really want to use your prosumer device. I would recommend serching and purchasing a firewire isolator. but if your serious, you should invest in a true digital i/o (madi, aes, rednet, etc)

I experienced some cracks/static yesterday through my headphones/monitors via my Komplete Audio 6 into my Macbook.
Changing the USB cable is ALWAYS the first step to take - and it fixed it for me. So it was a bad USB cable :(

Try out a new cable and see if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't

Back