Anyone using Pro Tools Free on a HP computer?

sondriven

I downloaded Pro Tools Free, so I can have 8 tracks to dedicate to vocals and then take those tracks down to 2 and dump into my Akai DPS16.

I run a Hewlett Packard 900mhz, 256ram, WinME. M-Audio DIO 2448 soundcard is installed with S/PDIF connections.

I am getting errors all over the place. Sometimes I get a DAE error at start up, sometimes not. And when I do get Pro Tools started, I can record ok, but when I playback I almost always get the hardware buffer rate to low error. Im pretty sure my computer can handle playing one track of audio with no plugins. So I set the buffer rate at both extremes to no avail.

So Im wondering if its just uncompatibility between Pro Tools Free and HP or if other people are seeing these things on their set-ups. I would like to know if its just my system and if not what can I do to fix it? I tried contacting Digidesign tech support but they dont help people who have the Free program.

Thanks for reading this.

You probably already know, but just in case.

Did you check out the Digidesign User Conference? They have a a couple of forums dedicated to PT LE and PT Free for Windows. Sometimes Digi's tech support jumps in with tips, not too often though.

As a general rule it is generally agreed that Pro Tools in any shape or form seems to dislike the PC platform. That is why most Pro tools users have macs.

Still this may be a known problem so I would take th above advice and check the official websites.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DOWNLOAD IT MYSELF AND JUST READ THAT SOME HEWLETT PACKARD COMPUTERS CAN NOT SUPPORT THE SOFTWARE.

Brand name PCs like HP etc can be pretty poor for adui use as so much of the components are sub-standard. Most of the stuff is built into the mobo for cost reasons. A self-build or custom audio PC would be a wise choice when buying a PC in future, esp if you wnat to use it for audio.

I only wanted to use the Pro Tools to record a couple extra tracks thats all. I have the Akai DPS for the bulk of my recording.
I use drum loop software on the computer, and the HP goes pretty good for that, I really dont use my puter to record, but I saw this Free version of PT and thought I would give it a try, but its just to buggy for my PC.

Back