anyone using an ipad for home recording?

barry c

Banned
Always hear people saying mac is better, but the little research ive done indicates that ipads are not that good for home recording.

An iPad is not a Mac. It's closer to a cell phone than to a Mac. This is not to say that you can't use an iPad for recording—they're fine for scratch recordings, and could even be used for real recording if you can live with the limitations of whatever recording app you choose—but if you're expecting it to be anywhere near as capable as an actual computer (Mac or otherwise) running a traditional DAW, you're going to be in for serious disappointment for several reasons:

1. Although the CPU maxes out at somewhere around a fifth the speed of a laptop (according to Geekbench), it can't do that continuously because it is a mobile device with no fan. So there's a hard thermal limit to what you can realistically do with it in terms of CPU-intensive effects.

2. It has limited storage. It doesn't support external storage devices (or at least not for app use), and the largest iPad model's capacity—64 GB—is only about 2.7 days of continuous recording. If you're working with even two or three takes of a drum part that takes eight tracks at 24/96 per take, you can burn through that much space pretty quickly.

3. Only certain USB audio interfaces work, and not all features of all interfaces are necessarily supported.

4. The operating system, iOS, has no support for third-party plugins, period, so whatever effects your audio app supports are what you're stuck with.

There are probably other reasons as well, but these were just the first four that came immediately to mind. In other words, iPads can be great for low-end recording, but if you're serious about home recording, you should probably go with a computer instead (or in addition). You'll be happier in the long run.

I agree with dgatwood, the iPad is nowhere near as a Mac. Its considered a tablet and you are limited by the apps available, unlike Mac where you have a huge range of DAWs and stuff. Processor's also pretty good.

Forget tablets Barry C, get a laptop instead. As previous users stated, tablets simply don't have enough hardware for decent recordings.

I have the new ipad(s)...with my focusrite 18i8 and digimax D8 i can record 16 tracks at 96/44 straight into Drumagogs Auria (it can take 24 tracks simultaneously)...which has VST fx by PSP, Overlouds TH1 and other pretty decent plug ins. It offers pretty much the same editing as a desktop DAW and track freeze to get by the CPU hit. Audiobus is being released onDec 10th, allowing any synth to be played in its 48 audio tracks...it connects directly with my dropbox account giving my another 10 gigs of storage..

No i dont use it to record at the moment, its midi support isnt quite there (but is coming) and i have a PC rig and Imac, but im going on the road for 6months and I will use it then

My faves

DAWs
Auria
Beatmaker 2
Nano Studio
Garageband

Sythns
Korg iMS-20
Korg Polysix
Animoog
Sunrizer
N-Log
Cassini
DRM 1
Additive synth

Controllers
V-control pro
Touchable
Chordion
StepPolyArp

Theres tons more, but these are ones that I have and rate "studio" worthy

Its got a way to go to replace any desktop, or laptop, set ups...but it can be used, it has benefits beyond being a toy (portability, footprint, touchscreen) and can be used alongside existing set ups imho

Erm... I looked at one today, as a friend had his with him when he came to fix my computer. It only has one socket - for charging it up, apparently. Where on earth do you plug in a mic?

IK Multimedia | iRig - Guitar interface adapter for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

Now, I don't do this personally. However, my son owns an iPad, and he can't play any instrument well enough to play a song lasting longer than 15 seconds. Yet with Garage Band he uses no real instruments, and somehow manages to play for me weird little songs with guitars, bass, drums, and keyboards. I guess it works for scratch ideas to take to your band mates, but for a demo that you were serious about? :spank:
I may be able to get usable sounds for guitar, and like the recording. But drums? Not a chance, unless that you'll accept one mono track. The lo-fi people will love this.

Some of it does sound exceptionally good. I guess it's the carpenter and not the tools. I doubt the drums are live, or are they? It has to be an app. I'm not betting, 'cause I've already eaten enough crow for one day. But with iRig you can get great guitar sounds, so it's all up to the drum sounds. And Garage Band does have some good drum sounds. Hmmmm................ maybe the boy's iPad goes 'missing' for a few hours tonight?

Well I have been wanting to start rercording scketches with an iPad. I havent bought one just yet ive been researching it first. If anything, what would you suggest just to make sketches to show the rest of the band (if i had one) the demos? I was thinking of using Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input mixer or the Belkin Tune Studio or just my irig audio input with the TASCAM iM2 mic to do quick recordings and voice. What do you think? Any pros and cons?

Back