Anyone using an Ensoniq Audio PCI?

beaverbiscuit

(I originally posted this in the Newbies forum, but I thought maybe this forum might be more appropriate.)

I am putting together a home studio (Sonar XL, Tascam M-520 mixer, Delta 66, WinME) and was getting ready to buy an SB Live! when a co-worker gave me an Ensoniq Audio PCI for free.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation, on the package itself, or online regarding whether it supports Soundfonts. When I called their 800 number, I was informed that there are two versions of Soundfonts — .sf1 type (SB) and something called .ecw or something (Ensoniq).

Does anyone know anything about this second type of Soundfont? I don't know much about MIDI yet, but I was planning to use the SB Live! as described by Ethan Winer in his article "Striving for New Lows." I don't want to install this card if I'm gonna end up replacing it with the SB Live! At the same time, if there is enough support for this second type of Soundfont I could save myself a little money.

Any help would be very cool :cool: Thanks in advance!

The Audio PCI does not support soundfonts to my knowledge.

I have one. It's an ok card, with converters that will sound pretty much like the SB Live, which isn't great.

Slackmaster 2000

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's a shame I can't make it work. I guess I could install it as a second (or third, if you count the Delta) card, but I can't imagine what benefit that would bring. Besides, the last thing I need is a cat fight between the SB Live! and the Ensoniq :D

Thanks for the reply, Slackmaster2K.

Biggest POS in my opinion. I bought one cheap a while back and it was more trouble than its worth. It is not manufactured anymore and driver support is all but gone on the Creative website. It wasn't fully compatible with the Sound Blaster standard and didn't support SoundFonts.

Sound card buyers tip #1 : NEVER buy a card that is no longer produced/supported. You are only asking for trouble by doing so!

Thanks, brzilian. The beautiful thing about this situation is that the card was free. The not-so-beautiful thing is that it's worthless :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm destined for an eBay session. Thanks for saving me from much useless toil and cursing!

Back