Anyone use GarageBand???

homebrewery

Was just wondering if anyone used Garageband primarily like myself, and if so, what kind of music do u record? Any tips on producing great-quality mixes?

Was just wondering if anyone used Garageband primarily like myself, and if so, what kind of music do u record? Any tips on producing great-quality mixes?

I have Garageband on all my Macs but only use Pro Tools and only post about Pro Tools in the Pro Tools forums. :D

Good luck!

Yes, I use GB pretty regularly but primarily for +++ scratch pad type stuff. It is up and running faster than it takes PT to just load in.

Using a Powerbook G4 with 1.5 MB RAM

but I haven't gotten into upgrading components, etc. although I do use the 002 rack as an audio source in, and sometimes out

TRD

You'll probably mainly find pro tools users here, though I use reason 4 alot, it is a different beast to PT

I am glad to see at least one other GB user. :)

I started looking at Pro Tools and some others and got overwhelmed. I am a noob. I fell in love with GB because I was quickly able to get some decent quality for song ideas and scratch tracks.

We're now using the mac to record a demo for our band. I am new to the engineering thing so it's not perfect, but I am finding the Mac to be very capable.

In a kind of related issue.My son has Garage band on his mini mac, he deleted it to trash and then emptied the trash. How do I get it back? I am not a Mac guy at all. Is all lost? I looked in appliocation but I done see it there.
Thanks.

Yes I use Garage Band and I have been getting very frustrated.
There is a great deal of reading involved and I still can not get what I want.
I Have a Tascam 688 (8-track) that I have been told that I can use to record with using GarageBand so that I would;
1) control the Tascam with the Garageband (mouse/keyboard)
2) record 8 tracks at once in to GarageBand
But I am not gettin' there

I'm a protools/reason guy, but my cowriter uses GB just because it's so simple and user friendly. I just get her to bounce everything she does to stereo stems for me to mix in PT. I really, really, like the simple interface of garageband, but it doesn't have the editing/mixing flexibility that protools has. I guess maybe I should try logic!

Yes I use Garage Band and I have been getting very frustrated.
There is a great deal of reading involved and I still can not get what I want.
I Have a Tascam 688 (8-track) that I have been told that I can use to record with using GarageBand so that I would;
1) control the Tascam with the Garageband (mouse/keyboard)
2) record 8 tracks at once in to GarageBand
But I am not gettin' there

After Garageband opens, plug in your interface. You should get a message saying "one input now available", hit ok. You should then get a message saying "Garageband has detected ______" hit yes. Now open up your Track Info panel with the little "i" button on the bottom right. From there you can assign each track to different input sources. Once that is done, it will allow you to record enable multiple tracks.

Hope that helps. I use garageband all the time. I love it.

You'll probably mainly find pro tools users here, though I use reason 4 alot, it is a different beast to PT

Logic and Ableton here. There's not a digidesign product on my system to speak of ;)

oh and to OP... yeah, once in a while. It's a great little program, actually...it even interfaces transparently with Logic (i.e. if you get logic, you can open the session up and save it as a Logic file and work on it as if it was always in Logic)

oh yeah... what stuff do you brew at home? I've been thinking of making some beer, been doing only wine thusfar...I imagine it's probably more difficult to make a good beer than a wine, eh?

I used to use GB on my macbook, was way cool for speed and ease of use for just doing some quick demo type recordings, it's a bit of a toy-recording-solution though, but for free it's cleasn and easy to use and I had some nice results from it

Good place to start if you're learning or just getting use to multitracking software

Don't let snobbish attitudes with regards to Logic or ProTools put you off! :)

I use Garageband a lot. I also have Logic Studio 8 (very nice) and Tracktion 3. Garageband is all you need for simple home recordings - Logic is amazing though. The plug-ins included with it - Mainstage - Space Designer - Guitar Amp Pro - they're all AMAZING.... Garageband is capable of great stuff with the right plug-ins. I know a band that did their demos with it and they blew me away - couldn't believe how good they turned out. And I tried to get with ProTools on my buds rig but ProTools is just not for me - Logic is however.

So what is the difference between Pro Tools and Logic? I am thinking about switching from GarageBand to another software program with more/better plug-ins...

Back