Anyone tried Tascam M-164UF ?

johnnymegabyte

Anyone tried Tascam M-164UF ? http://tascam.com/products/m-164uf;9,9,3744,14.html

What is the USB 2.0 specs .... says 24/96 for the Stereo Return (only, I'm assuming)
what is the specs for the inputs ? only 16/48 ?
From Tascam website
The M-164UF adds:
•Stereo effects processor with 16 presets for reverb, delay, chorus and other effects
•USB 2.0 audio interface providing 16 outputs to computer and stereo return from computer at 96kHz / 24-bit
•Supports Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista
•Includes Cubase LE4 48-track recording workstation software​

taking a chance

UPDATE: went out and put a deposit and ordered the Tascam M-164UF
$525 Cdn at Long & McQuade
16 channel mixer, FX with 16 USB 2.0 channels. Won't use that many tracks all the time, but you never know :p

I think I am landing on the same choice, after considering
  • Behringer 1622FX (quality concerns, and would need external USB for 16 channel recording - about $200 right there),
  • Mackie 1402 VLZ3 (no USB and potential quality ssue re now being made in China???), and
  • Allen Heath ZED 14 ( USB 1.1 and onyl two cahnell USB out)
Really like the TASCAM in terms of:
  • product reputation
  • internal USB 2.0 interface 16 channel output
  • typical AUX 1/AUX 2 features
  • 16 inputs
  • internal effects
  • LED meters
  • internal effects easily applied on inptus 1 thur 9 via Aux 2.
  • bundled CuBase
  • Windos and Mac support
  • $500 price range
16 inputs is not too much for me (even for home use for fun) as I already have them all assigned ( for use with mac G5):

1 - Guitar 1 (via amp)
2 - Guitar 2 (via amp)
3 - Mic 1
4 - Mic 2
5 - JamMan looper
6 - Spare
7/8 - Keyboard
9/10 - An old Windows PC used as library for MP3, wavs, etc
11/12 - reserved for USB return
13/14 -i touch guitar pro tabs (guitar toolkit app)
15/16 - reserved for internal effects (only bypassed if front panel jack used)

UPDATE: I drew up a pic, attached

Questions

1. Did you pick up the unit yet?
  2. Which L&M store did you order from?
  3. So.. where is it made (afraid to ask!)?
  4. Do you know the warranty period?
  5. Is there a dedicated forum for the prodcut ( or are we on it!!)?

Attachments

• gear-tascam.jpg
    gear-tascam.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Questions

Ordered it on Dec 18th L&M Scarborough. No L&M in Ontario has one. If I get it before Jan 1st, would be a miracle. $525 Cdn.
Don't know warranty or where made. PDF Manual says "printed in China"
Don't know of a Tascam forum

Questions

Just got it, only took it out of the box
L&M Scarborough
Made in .... China
Warranty = one year, got a second year for $21

Re the 'made in china' concern:

1) Let me know your first impressions re quality build, feel, noise etc.

2) Below is what is on the Allen and Heath web site (FAQs). I hope Tascam has something similar in place. I wrote them to ask, but no reply as of yet:

Q. Is it true that Xones are made in China, and if so, why are you doing this - is it a cost-cutting exercise? Are the UK-built Xones better quality and more reliable than the Chinese built versions?

A. We have been building the Xone:62, 32 and 02 models in China since summer 2004. They are built to exactly the same standard as the UK ones, using the same components, and tested on our own test equipment in the same way. As the Xone range grew and orders increased we had to look for an additional assembly plant in order to meet demand, as our UK factory was already operating at full capacity. We were keen to supply the demand for our products, but we were concerned about the rumours about exploitation in China, so we needed to find an internationally respected manufacturing partner with whom we could work to arrive at an acceptable production process. So, our engineering team in the UK designs the product, we specify the components to be used (the same as in our UK-built products - i.e. Alps pots and switches, P&G faders, Analog Devices IC etc.), specify the test stages and provide the test gear to ensure our standards are met. We regularly audit the production processes along with the standards accreditation bodies such as ITS to certify the standard safety and quality issues. The only difference is the direct labour content, and we're pleased to confirm that the working conditions and environment are exceptionally good in the factory we use. Finally, we're glad to say that we're very pleased with the quality of product the Chinese factory is achieving - there is NO discernible difference between the mixers built in China and those built in the UK.​

just went through the manual and still trying to figure it out before connecting anything
16 channels = USB 2.0 to PC.
Channels 1 to 10 go to PC direct, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 are Aux returns, Sub Mix and Stereo Mix ... so, it's a 10 channel for direct recording
16 channels when in analog. If using Aux 1 and/or 2 (#2=int fx) 13-16 are the Returns. Not sure if exactly like that, but close
It's got 4 busses.
Phantom Power = all ON or Off. Fortunately, I have an Art Tube MP to compare Tascam's preamps against

I will let you know once I have set up everything. I got a new desk from Ikea yesterday (PITA to setup), but side-by-side the PC, laptop and mixer won't fit side my side, so I have to get another table for the mixer ... then move the desk, move my synth, so maybe tonight ... time to go shopping.
With new additions in the last year, it's going from Stu-d'oh to Studio !!!:D

So, if its 10 channel for recording, isn't it a a bit misleading to advertise as 16 x 2 interface, or to say "allowing all 16 inputs to be recorded to their own track in your computer recording software. "

Ignoring the returns for the moment, that are indeed 14 inputs at the back (1-14) , so

a) is it at least a 14 out USB interface for recording?
b) are those 14 independantly controlled in the software, ie "recorded to their own track in your computer recording software. "

Last edited:
Was thinking about this further....looking forward to your confirmations....

1) The spec says "allowing all 16 inputs to be recorded to their own track in your computer recording software." I had thought this meant a 16 x 2 interface (16 outs and 2 returns). But , perhaps its the same as any other mixer, ie 2 x 2 . It does not say "allowing EACH of the 16 inputs to be recorded INDIVIDUALLY to their own track in your computer recording software. I wonder if "all 16 input recorded to their own thier track" simply means inputs are first summed, onto a single 2 channel stereo track, and then output to the computer. Its still "thier own" track, but its a single stereo track. So, for example, if inputs 2 and 5 are sent over USB, are they are already combined when seen by the software, or are they are seperate???

2) The spec also says "USB 2.0 audio interface providing 16 outputs to computer and stereo return from computer at 96kHz / 24-bit"... this could still mean that that 16 outputs are summed to a single stereo track. It does NOT say "USB 2.0 audio interface providing 16 INDIVIDUAL SEPERATE outputs to computer and stereo return from computer at 96kHz / 24-bit"

I hope I am wrong and that its truly a 16 x 2 interfacec (or perhaps 14 x 2), and not 2 x 2 like most mixers.

The only other mixer in this price range, I've seen with some USB flexibility on what goes to the 2 x 2 USB interface, is the ALLEN and HEATH ZED 14.

channel 1 to 10 are USB inputs
11/12 USB stereo return
13/14 & 15/16 are FX send to PC
yes 16 total, but misleading
Even REAPER sees it this way. jammed along, but didn't record

So far, I have my Zoom G7, Roland D-70 Synth and my other PC (soft synths) hooked up to the Tascam
haven't tried any Mic's yet, maybe tomorrow

I just don't get why manufacturers do this. Why can't they just simply give us the throughput specs? From reading the manual, it appears to be at least a 16x10 interface, but it's damn hard to determine that from reading it.:mad:

you can Mono 1 to 10, Aux 1, Aux 2, Sub L, Sub R, Stereo L, Stereo R
pair as Stereo 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 7/8, 8/9, 9/10, Aux 1/Aux 2, Sub L+R, Stereo L+R
11 = Aux 1
12 = Aux 2
13/14 = Sub L+R
15/16 = Stereo L+R

I haven't tried multi recording yet. just connect Roland D-70 synth, other PC Line out, and Zoom G7 guitar processor & test with a jam along
The bit rate shows as 24/48

Thanks for the great updates!!

As long as you can have "many" outputs over the usb, and control them independantly in the software, then that's good enough! The actual number 16 vs 10 vs whatever) is less important, as the competition to date only allows for 2 summed outputs out.

Overall,

• how are things like over all quality ( is it plasticy?? light or heavy??).
  • do you find the fader controls adequate. I think they are 60 to 65 mm (whick is nomral, but short compared to A&H whihc has 100mm).
  • after some use you might be able to comment on things like 'noise'
  • any regrets??

On balance , pre-purchase, I still like the Tascam.. among the bunch , which includes:

Allen Heath Zed 14
Yamaha MG166CX
Peavey PV 14 USB
Mackie ProFX12
Behringer 1622 FX

Last edited:
you can Mono 1 to 10, Aux 1, Aux 2, Sub L, Sub R, Stereo L, Stereo R
pair as Stereo 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 7/8, 8/9, 9/10, Aux 1/Aux 2, Sub L+R, Stereo L+R
11 = Aux 1
12 = Aux 2
13/14 = Sub L+R
15/16 = Stereo L+R

I wrote TASCAM (before you clarified the above) to ask how they came up with the 16 out on usb. They replied immediately ( to thier credit), with what you now have above, ie :

1-10 : The first ten inputs feed the first ten USB outputs
11-12: 11 & 12 of the USB output are fed from Aux 1 and 2
13-14: 13 and 14 are fed from the Sub
15-16: 15 and 16 are fed from the Stereo buss.

So, are we stll ejoying the unit? Any surprises??

I am ready to purchase any time now.

I heard back from tech support on some earlier questions. Yup, it is made in China but they say they have TEAC staff on hand for QA and have had no issues to date. Faders are 55mm - kinda short compared to others (65mm to 100mm), but perhaps not an issue in real use???

Hi johnnymegabyte,
I'd be interested to know how you're getting on with the Tascam, here's a thread I posted earlier https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=295858
As you'll see someone kindly pointed me towards your thread, any feedback on quality etc would be greatly appreciated and how easy it is to use with Reaper ????

MediaMan09,
I just saw your list, I'm very new to this and bought the Behringer 1222FX thinking I'd be able to record 8 different tracks at the same time but it comes with a 2 input interface only so I think you'd still need to buy a seperate interface if you went with the 1622 and even then I'm not sure how many seperate thoughtputs you could get, I think mines limited to 4 but that may be my lack of knowledge. Also I've narrowed down that the interface is causing a high pitch pulse / whine so in effect it's totally useless. Hope that's of some help.

Love it ... very clean sounding. No hiccups using Tascam USB driver to see all 16, which is 10 + 2FX, Sub L+R, stereo L+R = 16
onboard FX are quiet

so far, the only downside is the headphone sounded thin, but I wanna revisit that soon

Love it ... so far, the only downside is the headphone sounded thin, but I wanna revisit that soon

Funny you should mention that as, in my current setup ( no mixer but a bunch of switches) I noticed the headphones are a bit distorted ( vs a direct connection to the amp)... and was looking forward to a nomral arrangement where I could monitor via the mixer.

Have you narrowed down the issue wrt it sounding thin???

Back