Anybody tried this pc case dampening material?

It's only $11, so suck it up and be a guinea pig. I'd try it, but my motherboard is sitting on a box at the moment.

I'm the sucker who actually bought one of those ... doesn't help imo...

I've invested some good money in silencing computers and this is a list of what works (for me):

- cpu cooler: Zalman flower cooler set at its lowest fan rate works (cpu temp 45-50°C)
- northbridge cooler: Zalman fanless, it gets fresh air from the giant cpu ventilator
- fanless video card: there's many of them, a Matrox G550 does it for me and has dual video
- a silent PSU: installed a Zalman psu in a friend's computer, but don't like it because it is temperature-controlled: once the temp passes a treshold it gets noisy. Enermax PSU's with fan control do the trick for me.
- what helped most: BUILD A (vented) ISO BOX... it'll cost you about $50 and some work but this is the most effective. I've built mine with spare fans and a 500mA 1.5-12V adapter but will rebuild it some time soon with stealth fans and a better thought-of ventilation system.

Hope this helps,
Herwig

christiaan said:
"Tired of that constant 7000RPM Delta whine?"

I think I'll just wait for Ethan Winer's whine traps. :D

"tired of that constant 7200rpm whine?"

Then buy a frickin' Seagate and shut yer yap. hahaha :D

"Tired of that constant 7000RPM Delta whine?"

That is the stupidest ad I've seen lately. If THAT is the user segment that these guys target, then it is neither me, nor anyone I know.

rig an 80mm on the heatsink, mine looks like hell but it's quiet and cool, did it on 6 of my systems really, that 7000rpm scream gets old fast, imho...

There's another company that makes nothing but sound-deadening products. They're called QuietSOlution (www.quietsolution.com). I used their NK-311 adehesive for sound isolation in my studio and isolation booth, and they make products that silence everything from appliances, cars, plumbing and HVAC, so I'll bet they'll have something for your needs, as well. Most of their products are applied like a paint, so it probably won't cause excess heat build-up. A call to them would probably get a quick answer to your questions (1-800-797-8438).

CraigarS

"Lots of extra heat at no extra charge."

What makes you say that? Are you trying to imply that a significant thermal pathway in a case is the cover itself? This is a myth perpetuated by people who sell aluminum cases. Just wondering, I don't like misconceptions.

As for quieting your beasty PC, it depends on what is bothering you about it. If it's fan noise, the best way is to go to the link Mons put up and start reading. There are plenty of power supplies and heatsinks (particularly from Zalman) that do QUITE a nice job of making things more tolerable.

Another major source is hard drive whine. I use an Antec Sonata case for most systems that I build (but not my beast, just 'cause I'm clinging on to the old hag! ;) ) these days. The hard drives are mounted on rubber gromments that significantly subdue most HD's. The system I just built is about as quiet as I can conceive. You could also MacGuyver something similar on your own if you have the time and patience (I did, which is part of the reason I can tolerate my current case).

Of course, if you want to get stupid hardcore, you could always water-cool and have your heat exchanger either be entirely passive (must be very large) or make it remote to the PC and still mostly passive. I built a system for someone that used the full-passive idea. Very cool (literally and figuratively), and totally quiet (not a single fan in the whole case).

Marquis said:
"Lots of extra heat at no extra charge."

What makes you say that? Are you trying to imply that a significant thermal pathway in a case is the cover itself? This is a myth perpetuated by people who sell aluminum cases. Just wondering, I don't like misconceptions.

I'm not only implying it, I'm saying it. There's been reviews of stuff like this that show an increase in internal temperature.

As for quieting your beasty PC, it depends on what is bothering you about it. If it's fan noise, the best way is to go to the link Mons put up and start reading. There are plenty of power supplies and heatsinks (particularly from Zalman) that do QUITE a nice job of making things more tolerable.

Another major source is hard drive whine. I use an Antec Sonata case for most systems that I build (but not my beast, just 'cause I'm clinging on to the old hag! ;) ) these days. The hard drives are mounted on rubber gromments that significantly subdue most HD's. The system I just built is about as quiet as I can conceive. You could also MacGuyver something similar on your own if you have the time and patience (I did, which is part of the reason I can tolerate my current case).

I don't have any problems with Seagate drives at all, in regards to noise.

"I'm not only implying it, I'm saying it. There's been reviews of stuff like this that show an increase in internal temperature. "

I've seen similar reviews, and I have yet to see one that actually has decent methodology. In particular, I have yet to see one that addresses any potential case flow issues from the onset. They always have an "I added it, and my case temps went up!" sort of take. I suppose if you look at it that way, then perhaps you're correct. But I've used material like this for vibration dampening purposes in sub-par cases, and so long as case flow was adequate to begin with it was never an issue.

And you're right, Seagate drives with FDB motors are very quiet.

Back