Anybody Got A Similar Soundcard/mixer Setup Like Mine?

Gidge said:
ok, dumb question....i thought Raid boards were designed to use multiple hard drives at once.....do you have just one......to anyone who knows anything on the subject, if you have just one are there any special settings you need to do?.....

i feel so stupid.....
u ain't dumb gidge,your a cajun:D and u still get a album. u have been a lot of help believe me. no i am not using a raid configuration. it is disabled,no problem there. and say high to mickey for me although daffy is still my fav.

In your windows control panel, do you have the DMA box checked for your hard drive?......

JW...

I too have the RAID disabled...

I only have one hard disk (40GB Western Digital), but I have it partitioned into 4 drives... which is better than having one drive for everything; however, not as good as having completely seperate hard drives...

anyways drive C (3GB) is my main OS installation (WinXP) that I use for internet, graphics, my web designing I do, etc... it is what I am using right now...

drive D (6GB) has all my programs for both OS's... the programs for use with the main OS are in a D:\Program Files\ sub directory and for the DAW I use D:\Audio Program Files\

drive E (3GB) is my DAW OS installation (WinXP) that I use only for audio recording/editing and nothing else... in it all my USB ports, my printer, my multimedia sound card (cheap yamaha PCI64), and my network card are all disabled. Programs like Outlook Express, windows messanger, etc... have all been uninstalled as well... the only programs installed on this OS are my plugins and audio software... nothing else is installed or run on this OS, except for Internet Explorer when I see an update for something has come out.

drive F is all remaining space and is where my audio files are recorded to and saved.

Both OS drives are formated with the NTFS file system. The programs drive and the audio drive are FAT32.

I always defrag drive F after every recording project I do.

The remaining drives are defragged every week to every 2 weeks. If I haven't done or completed a project when I defrag the other drives, I just go ahead and hit drive F too.

The 40GB hard drive is primary on IDE1 running at Ultra ATA100 w/ the 4in1 VIA version 4.35 drivers.

On IDE2 my CDRW (Plextor) drive is master and the regular CDROM is slave on IDE2. Both CD drives are running at Multiword DMA mode 2

again both IDE3 and IDE4 (Raid controllers) are disabled in the bios. my bios is also flashed to the latest version.

jdechant said:
JW...

I too have the RAID disabled...

I only have one hard disk (40GB Western Digital), but I have it partitioned into 4 drives... which is better than having one drive for everything; however, not as good as having completely seperate hard drives...

anyways drive C (3GB) is my main OS installation (WinXP) that I use for internet, graphics, my web designing I do, etc... it is what I am using right now...

drive D (6GB) has all my programs for both OS's... the programs for use with the main OS are in a D:\Program Files\ sub directory and for the DAW I use D:\Audio Program Files\

drive E (3GB) is my DAW OS installation (WinXP) that I use only for audio recording/editing and nothing else... in it all my USB ports, my printer, my multimedia sound card (cheap yamaha PCI64), and my network card are all disabled. Programs like Outlook Express, windows messanger, etc... have all been uninstalled as well... the only programs installed on this OS are my plugins and audio software... nothing else is installed or run on this OS, except for Internet Explorer when I see an update for something has come out.

drive F is all remaining space and is where my audio files are recorded to and saved.

Both OS drives are formated with the NTFS file system. The programs drive and the audio drive are FAT32.

I always defrag drive F after every recording project I do.

The remaining drives are defragged every week to every 2 weeks. If I haven't done or completed a project when I defrag the other drives, I just go ahead and hit drive F too.

The 40GB hard drive is primary on IDE1 running at Ultra ATA100 w/ the 4in1 VIA version 4.35 drivers.

On IDE2 my CDRW (Plextor) drive is master and the regular CDROM is slave on IDE2. Both CD drives are running at Multiword DMA mode 2

again both IDE3 and IDE4 (Raid controllers) are disabled in the bios. my bios is also flashed to the latest version.

ok jd, i need seperate partitions "or" a seperate hard drive. i have got to get over my one drive. i do believe seperate partitions or drive's are the key. gotta keep this stuff seperated.

i'm considering a seperate drive. my whole life is on one drive(backed up of course). maybe this week the 20gig 7200 drive's will be under a $100. jw

jw,

Office Depot is running (locally, not sure nationwide) a Maxtor 7200rpm 20gb hard drive for $69 ($109 - $40 rebate).....that will help you out with higher track counts once you get running...but i dont think thats the key to your problem....

check out that last link i posted...someone else had popping problems with that last Windoze 2K drivers........

... $100 for a 20gig drive... sorry guys but with the decreasing prices of computer components that seems a little high... I got my 40gig for $107... but that was from an "online superstore" too...

but still I always see Staples advertising 40 to 60 gig drives for around $100 to $120

Gidge said:
jw,

Office Depot is running (locally, not sure nationwide) a Maxtor 7200rpm 20gb hard drive for $69 ($109 - $40 rebate).....that will help you out with higher track counts once you get running...but i dont think thats the key to your problem....

check out that last link i posted...someone else had popping problems with that last Windoze 2K drivers........
yes slack has some good points and i'm right there where he's at. i will check them out tomorrow when i get my n-track setup. as far as the rebate on them harddrives go, that always sucks. i'm still waiting on a $10 and $20 one from best buy from june. will wait for the bigger drop.

www.gainward.com

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

Forgive me is this is redundant, have you checked these sites for Via drivers?
M-audio doesn't report problems with KT133 or KT133A chipsets specificaly but offers these as an "in case".

I'm still banking on the bad onboard chip; your settings are optimized, no inherent incompatabilities, no apparent drive problems.

getuhgrip said:
www.gainward.com

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

Forgive me is this is redundant, have you checked these sites for Via drivers?
M-audio doesn't report problems with KT133 or KT133A chipsets specificaly but offers these as an "in case".

I'm still banking on the bad onboard chip; your settings are optimized, no inherent incompatabilities, no apparent drive problems.
it's ok jd,this is a long post. yep i got the latest 4 n 1's. the ver 4.35.

things r looking up today,first time in 3 weeks owning this AP2496 soundcard.

jd&gidge give me your mailing address's you got a xmas album coming your way.

so far today:
1-well i upped to the 24bit version of n-track($31 total).

2-i reloaded the 4 n 1 via drivers although i did that last week

3-i selected the WDM:M Audio Delta AP1/2 in N-Track, in and out

4-i have the 512 samples at 44,100 in the Delta control panel

5-i have wav out 1/2 on the left and moniter mixer on the right of the Delta patchbay.

6-i am using the latest german drivers

so i recorded for 30 minutes(so far today)my cassette dubbing into N-Track and lemme tell ya not one single pop or click. it sounds GREAT!

actually the only real difference from yesterday and today was paying for N-track and selecting the WDM drivers.

and for everybody else that helped like getuhgrip,slackmaster,and i can't remember everybody thanks a lot. it's time to end this thread and get on to other important crap like the plugins and such.look for the new posts jwgeetar

ps:i still wanna refer to some of this info so please don't delete this yet mr admin,thx

Dude,

I cant say Ive ever been happier to get somebody up and running.....im going email that address right now....that little clip on your website is a damn tease.....

Back