anybody ever use or heard anything about this

blarg

What's up all,

I was doing some research and came across an expansion for the creative soundblaster live that has digital optical I/O's. Here's the link,
the card
Basically, I just want to ask how well it works, it looks a little to cheap to trust, and is it worth buying to go with a Behringer ADA8000.

blarg said:
it looks a little to cheap to trust.
Go with your gut instinct. If you suspect it will be too cheap to trust, you're probably right. An upgraded sound blaster is still a sound blaster...

The Behringer, on the other hand, does what it claims to do without fuss nor muss. It's not fancy or ultra-quiet or 'premium' but it gets the job done.

blarg said:
What's up all,

I was doing some research and came across an expansion for the creative soundblaster live that has digital optical I/O's. Here's the link,
the card
Basically, I just want to ask how well it works, it looks a little to cheap to trust, and is it worth buying to go with a Behringer ADA8000.

I don't know about the card but the behringer ada8000 is the loudest and weakest link in my chain and will be the first to go when i come across some more money.

Just turning the unit on introduces noise.

bigwillz24 said:
I don't know about the card but the behringer ada8000 is the loudest and weakest link in my chain and will be the first to go when i come across some more money.

Just turning the unit on introduces noise.

Just wondering what your setup is with that unit?

hueseph said:
Just wondering what your setup is with that unit?

Triton LE, MPC 1000, E-MU Mophatt & Microphones (Mics go through DBX 386 first) out to Behringer ADA8000 in

Behringer ADA8000 ADAT out to EMU 1212m ADAT IN

Into Cubase SX,

MIDI via Tascam US-428

Why?

You're not using the SPDIF on the dbx 386 into your emu?

And you wouldn't be able to use the ADA8000 with that soundblaster anyways. It puts out ADAT, which is entirely different from the SPDIF optical on that card. Even though they use the same connection, the data format is totally different.

It's like putting a DVD into a CD player. Sure, they're both polycarbonate discs, and it'll fit in the tray physically, but the cd player won't have a clue what to do with it.

I personally think the ADA8000 is a fine little unit for expanding your IO. I don't really use it for mic preamps, but I use it all the time for my synths, for which it is plenty quiet...

I had problems with the signal routing In Cubase when I attempted to use the SPDIF connections on the 1212m along with the ADAT. (I couldn't get the SPDIF connection to show up in Cubase only the ADAT)

As far as noise maybe mine is defective....

bigwillz24 said:
As far as noise maybe mine is defective....
Possibly. A studio that I work in all the time has one in each tracking room and they're not the quietest piece in the chain but shouldn't be noisy from when you turn them on.

You say you run your mics thru a DBX 386 before they hit the Behringer. Try plugging a mic straight into the ADA8000 and putting the compression after the preamp. Just a suggestion...

Back