Anybody else have problems with Focusrite Scarlett series??

michkid

I grew tired of my Presonus Firepod and old Dell laptop. Back in December I decided to treat myself and bought a new computer (Dell i7 2.1ghz 8gig Ram WIN 7 Home Premium 64bit), and a new Focusrite 18i6 (new laptop didn't have firewire and I really liked the pres on the Focusrite). I was very excited to get it up and running, so after optimizing the new computer for audio, I hooked up the Focusrite and......have had nothing but problems since then.

The Scarlettmix software crashes EVERYTIME I have tried using it. It will work for 2-3 minutes then will say "NO HARDWARE CONNECTED", then my entire system crashes. I tried tracking without the Scarlettmix software and it was running ok for a week or so. Now , when I try to overdub the card will randomly start spitting static, pops, clicks...and it won't play audio from previous recorded tracks (or if it does, it is random).

Tried hooking it up to my old system and the same thing happened. Tried swapping usb cables, same thing happened. Adjusted buffer, same thing.
I use Cubase 5. Other than that and my Focusrite software, there is no other software loaded on the computer. I've been trying to work with Focusrite to fix the issue, but no luck so far. Just wanted to pick your guys brains and see what you thought. I could understand if I was using some weird os, or some crappy computer but this is completly blowing my mind.

In the meantime, I've had to go back to my Firepod on my old system. The pres aren't as nice, but at least I can track and play back audio with it. I really don't wanna put the thing up on ebay but if I can't get it fixed in the next few days I am going to have no choice. :(

I grew tired of my Presonus Firepod and old Dell laptop. Back in December I decided to treat myself and bought a new computer (Dell i7 2.1ghz 8gig Ram WIN 7 Home Premium 64bit), and a new Focusrite 18i6 (new laptop didn't have firewire and I really liked the pres on the Focusrite). I was very excited to get it up and running, so after optimizing the new computer for audio, I hooked up the Focusrite and......have had nothing but problems since then.

The Scarlettmix software crashes EVERYTIME I have tried using it. It will work for 2-3 minutes then will say "NO HARDWARE CONNECTED", then my entire system crashes. I tried tracking without the Scarlettmix software and it was running ok for a week or so. Now , when I try to overdub the card will randomly start spitting static, pops, clicks...and it won't play audio from previous recorded tracks (or if it does, it is random).

Tried hooking it up to my old system and the same thing happened. Tried swapping usb cables, same thing happened. Adjusted buffer, same thing.
I use Cubase 5. Other than that and my Focusrite software, there is no other software loaded on the computer. I've been trying to work with Focusrite to fix the issue, but no luck so far. Just wanted to pick your guys brains and see what you thought. I could understand if I was using some weird os, or some crappy computer but this is completly blowing my mind.

In the meantime, I've had to go back to my Firepod on my old system. The pres aren't as nice, but at least I can track and play back audio with it. I really don't wanna put the thing up on ebay but if I can't get it fixed in the next few days I am going to have no choice. :(

its a fucking nightmare...excuse my french

Ive had problems with mixcontrol on Macs and PC...I really dont know why I keep it

some tips

make sure its buffer is the same as your DAWs
dont use its midi connectors
if youve got any extra pres in its digital or spdif set its clock to external

contact focusrite...their support is pretty good and they generally answer in a day...to save time tell them your set up in detail, including everything thats attached to your PC

its a shame, the piece is quality for its price, but the software is garbage

Do you need to run the mix program??

I have the 2i2 and it doesn't come with any program, just drivers and Ableton.

yup...the 18i6 wont run without it

I wish Id done more research into this unit as theres posts littered all over the internet with people having problems with this

I installed it on my mac but because my machindrums audio and midi were going through it it shut down my mac so badly I had to go into text commands to get its started again...my macs logic board just died on me, a week or so after...not saying it was the focusrite but nothing has caused any of my macs to basically blue screen like it did

great customer support but there is something fundamentally wrong with the software..Ive had five or six audio interfaces and nothings given me trouble like this :(

I'm having similar problems with a sapphire pro 40. Bought new computer, changed firewire cables and PCIe card, did everything focusrite suggested, am talking now with Cakewalk Sonar people, --- still, clicks and pops. BTW, focusrite takes DAYS to get back to me.

Not happy but hopeful that once it's all sussed out it will be fine. Any help?

Steve

yup...the 18i6 wont run without it

I wish Id done more research into this unit as theres posts littered all over the internet with people having problems with this

I installed it on my mac but because my machindrums audio and midi were going through it it shut down my mac so badly I had to go into text commands to get its started again...my macs logic board just died on me, a week or so after...not saying it was the focusrite but nothing has caused any of my macs to basically blue screen like it did

great customer support but there is something fundamentally wrong with the software..Ive had five or six audio interfaces and nothings given me trouble like this :(

I never had a problem with my 18i6, and it runs fine without the mix program here. :wtf:

I've got the Scarlett 8i6 on a Windows machine, but it uses the same MixingConsoleFromHell. I did a bunch of research before I bought it, and it went smoothly here's what I recommend:

Uninstall all the Focusrite software. Unhook the interface. Download the software directly from the Focusrite site below for the 18i6:

Downloads | Focusrite

Apparently there were some bugs in the disks that were included with the hardware. The drivers and software on the site are more current. Use those instead. Unless there are some other issues going on (hardware, or some other computer issue), that should take care of it.

It's funny... When I was reading all the reviews of Focusrite products, people were very adamant about NOT using the software on the factory disk. I honestly thought they were over-reacting, but I figured I would take their advice anyway. In hind-site, those people apparently saved me a lot of time, and frustration.

Back