Any Other Editors Out There With On-Clip Gain Controls Like Adobe Audition 3.0?

There is a feature in Adobe Audition 3.0 called "on-clip" gain control that is very cool. When you highlight/select a section of audio, a little visual amplitude control appears at the top of the selection. You can drag the knob to raise or lower the amplitude of JUST that section and see the visual happen instantly.

Since AA 3.0 is old and not available from Adobe any longer (I think the CC version of Audition sucks), I'm hoping to find an audio editing program other than Audition - that people can actually purchase (will be recommending software to some people so they need to be able to buy it) that has that same immediate visual access to a gain control for a selected clip of audio.

Does anyone know of other editing programs that have that? I didn't realize how much I'd come to rely on the immediate visual (wave form changing) of using this tool.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Vegas had it way back when it was made by Sonic Foundry. Pro Tools finally caught up with version 9 or 10, and did them one better by enabling automation of the Clip Gain Line within a clip. I'm pretty sure Reaper and others also do some version of this.

Yep. Samplitude has had it since it started. But it led the way in what it calls "object" level editing - for object, read "clip".
I use it all the time as a quick automation method.

It's important to understand that this changes the level upstream of the inserts (in all the DAWs I've used). That means that if you have a compressor inserted and you raise level, you're pushing into the compressor. Using volume automation changes the level after the inserts. They both have their uses.

Thanks everyone! I've always wondered about Samplitude. Maybe time to check it out. BTW, I was looking specifically at destructive editors like the Edit Window of Audition, and not non-destructive DAWs. Yes, you can do it in Reaper, but you have to split that section of audio out from the item first, and then you can drag down the gain line (which defaults at the top). I have done that before when working on a mix. I also understand that if working that way, yes - you do affect the result of an effect that is applied to that track. But I'm looking more for single audio file editing in a destructive environment.

Anyway, thanks again!

Ryan

Back