Any one tried Apple's Garageband software?

lehnherr12

I'm a recording neophyte and am looking at the different computer platforms (Mac, PC) and different kinds of software (ProTools, Cakewalk, etc.) for a modest home recording unit.

A friend of mine recommended I take a look at Mac's Garageband software, which comes in its iLife '04 bundle. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. As a novice, I am a bit daunted by programs like ProTools, and something like Garageband seems to be more geared toward the entry-level user.

If anyone out there has tried it, what are its pros and cons? I'm a bit afraid that even though it might be a good program for the novice user, I'm afraid I might outgrow this software rather quickly.

Any thoughts?

i have tried it on my friend's PC and i personally am not very satisfied. now i am very picky about my music and if i want it done, i find a way. that's why around here they call me "Man of A Million Questions". anyways, it's pretty nice for entry level software, but as u said, u WILL outgrow it quickly.

Pros:
1. supports MIDI (which is more than i can say for the software i started using 3 years ago.
2. Vocal Recording enhancements (so if u suck at singing, click 3 times and no longer)
3. Softsynths including Drums, Guitars, and a couple hundred instruments and a shitload of effects for those instruments (including a Jam Pack of even MORE instruments and like, 2000 more loops for just a little more)
4. Easily Organized Loops by instrument, style and key.
5. A very easy recording interface and overall program interface
6. A pretty good set of mix effects to start with

Cons:
1. Works better with the around half a grand to a grand worth of accessories listed on the site, including USB headphones (?)
2. No Staff View (aren't i weird)
3. only for Macs (sorry all u mac users out there i'm more of a PC guy, to each their own.
4. Not enough mastering capabilities.

but remember, it DOES have a pretty interface. :D

garageband

couple questions:

1. What is a staff view (I am a complete novice here)? As in, musical staff?

2. How long do you think it would take an entry-level user with next to know prior experience with computer recording software be able to learn ProTools from the ground up, to the point where he/she could record a complete song, drums, guitars, bass, vocals, etc.? (Granted I realize it would take longer to learn the real bells and whistles that really make a recording shine).

Thanks

lehnherr12 said:
couple questions:

2. How long do you think it would take an entry-level user with next to know prior experience with computer recording software be able to learn ProTools from the ground up, to the point where he/she could record a complete song, drums, guitars, bass, vocals, etc.? (Granted I realize it would take longer to learn the real bells and whistles that really make a recording shine).

Thanks

I recorded my first full song with pro tools 3 days after i got it... its pretty simple to get started and learn the basics... but u can get so in depth with pro tools theres alot to learn but u can start recording right away

lehnherr12 said:
couple questions:

yes, a musical staff, believe it or not, staff users are few and far between. i say nothing bad about piano roll, except i grew up playing sax and studying theory, so i'm so obsessed with the staff view, i haven't even given piano roll much of a chance.

I too have only quickly played with it at my friends house, only had it on his older laptop, so it would only do 3 tracks, what I can say is if you have a current Mac iLife is a steel at $50, I only played around with the looping part of it but was pretty impressed for something that inexpensive, I'm a PC guy and use Acid for my looping by the way.

garageband

Cool. Thanks for your input guys. On the Apple site, they say that Cheryl Crow actual uses Mac's garageband software. Perhaps see uses it more for songwriting than for actual recording to be released to the public, maybe, but do you think that's just a paid endorsement pitch?

Any one actual used Garageband software for recording, not just looping. Like the last guy said, price is very cheap at $50 for iLife'04 bundle.

Back