Any Old Korg D1600 Users?

Snowman999

10 years ago or longer, I recorded an album on a Korg D1600. Now, with melodyne I can fix all my pitchy vocals.

There's two ways to move the tracks to Pro Tools.

1) Sync the machines and record each track in real time. Which I would do. But, the D1600's Master Fader no longer works. So, I can't get the tracks to play clean. No matter where I put the track's fader, the sound cracks from the master fader stuck in peak. So, this way with this machine is useless.

2) You can create a wav file from each track. But, you can't save it to the CD-R recorder that comes with the D1600. You have to use the 50 SCSI port in the back to a computer or some other SCSI drive.

This is basically how they describe it in the manual: Export a WAV file Audio track data copied to the clipboard of the D1600 can be exported to a WAV file (16 bit, 44.1 kHz, mono or stereo) on a FAT 16 DOS formatted external SCSI drive. ( p.72 "Note when using DOS format disks") You can select whether clip board data in 24 bit mode will be exported as 16 bit or as 24 bit data. When exporting 24 bit clipboard data as 16 bit data, you can select whether dithering will be performed. If dithering is performed, quantization noise will be less obvious. It is not possible to export to a CD device (CD-R, CD-RW).

I have tried to create a wav and save it to the built-in CD-R but it's not possible.

Does anyone know about this machine? I have the earliest MAC G5 tower and the Korg D1600. If I get some sort of SCSI cable and attach the two, will I be able to save the wav files to my Mac? Do I need to buy a FAT 16 DOS Drive? Is there another way of getting these tracks to my MAC?

Nevermind I figured this one out on my own, and it's way #3) When you mix a song and save it to CD, it only copies what's on Track 1 - 2 in stereo as an AIFF. I'd record 1-2, then swap it with 3-4, save it again... Repeat till I've copied 8 songs (16 tracks in stereo). Copied them to my mac and uploaded into Pro Tools. It worked like a charm.

#3 ain't in no manual.

I still have my D1600-MII. They're great IMHO.

Believe it or not I still use it. Had a D8 before that.

I'm actually looking to buy another one just for fun.

I dropped the tracks from the song into Pro Tools, and I still love the tracks. That's why I want to fix the vocals. I don't remember how to play any of these songs.

I'd sell you mine. But, it's worthless. I could probably open it up and clean the faders, which should fix the problem.

I don't know what it's called. But, I have an old really cool minidisc (type) 4 track recorder.

It's an off yellow (I think). I have no clue many gigs. I never had a problem with space and had at least 15 songs on it at one time. It was a great machine. I really only use the basics of Pro Tools. But, those basics are so much easier than the D1600.

I started with a 4 track Tascam cassette recorder. I still like some of those demos. I can't remember how I'd overdub on that.

I am unsure I am doing this right but I know I found the right recording device.

Korg D1600

I just bought one, and was attempting to do some initial testing since it is used. All of the buttons seem to work except the bottom layer of "recording and playback buttons." I have not plugged in anything for a monitor out or any headphone jacks, only a guitar in. The guitar is coming through but the recording buttons do not "flash or blink" as they are supposed to when priming, and they don't turn on at all.

I was wondering if they require the monitor out jacks to be connected to a monitor and/or some headphones plugged in before you can record? or did I get a f***ed up machine and the buttons are electronically malfunctioning?..... Since the rest of the board and the LCD touch screen works fine, it seems like I am just not priming and doing everything correctly in order for the recording buttons to work.

If anyone knows what I'm talking please let me know.... I know I need to hook up headphones and monitor anyways so i am going to try that - just wanting to know if this is normal or if anyone has had this problem with an older recording device. Thanks.

You should be able to record without headphones or monitors attached. Are you able to make the track state buttons change colour? The tracks you want to record need to be set to red. After that the transport buttons should work like any other recorder.

Try updated information the firmware. Sometimes that helps with glitching.

Sounds like the OP needs to spray the faders. Probably dirty. Also if I recall there is a way to set the output limits in the mixer menu without using the faders.

Back