Any New Integrated Computer/Daw's??

David40

Just thought I'd check to see if anyone was aware of any new equipment that integrates a true 8 track recorder (will record 8 tracks simultaneously) with a computer based interface. The Roland V-Studio was a real innovation because it was such an integration using SONAR as the control face. Why they ever abandoned it I'll never know, maybe because of the proprietary effects. I have not seen anything like it since, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Has anyone seen anything like that around anywhere?
Thanks

Just thought I'd check to see if anyone was aware of any new equipment that integrates a true 8 track recorder (will record 8 tracks simultaneously) with a computer based interface. The Roland V-Studio was a real innovation because it was such an integration using SONAR as the control face. Why they ever abandoned it I'll never know, maybe because of the proprietary effects. I have not seen anything like it since, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Has anyone seen anything like that around anywhere?
Thanks

If I understand your question, the Zoom is probably pretty close. Then there are just interfaces that are multi-channel out through USB.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I looked at the Zoom, but it's not the same. I am currently using an old TASCAM Portastudio which handles the simultaneous 8 tracks very well, it's just a pain to then transfer the 8 files into SONAR for processing/mixing. I am just surprised none of the high end DAW's have released an integrated solution like when Roland teamed up with Cakewalk. It seems like a logical evolution but we are dealing with the "corporate" mentality here. I would imagine you would need to go into a pro studio solution costing tens of thousands to do that which is out of the reach of most home studio users.

Before this is misread, just clarifying, not endorsing.

My understanding of the Zoom, the output is the analog spec, not USB integration. Furthermore, when you record to the Zoom it gives 8 discrete tracks to the recorder and in a wave format. Therefore allowing for an easy transfer to a DAW.

But my understanding of the Zoom and its appeal is it can act as a direct 8 channel interface. Plus it interfaces as a controller.

Go to the 5 minute mark to get to the crux of the conversation. It is showing 8 channels of input into the DAW.

I have to admit, I never knew it would also act as a controller, that is a pretty cool feature. If I am misunderstanding what the Zoom video is stating ... but that has been my understanding for sometime.

The Zoom demo shows the control interface, which is very cool, but failed to demonstrate multi-track recording using the DAW. I know it will do 8 tracks at a time as a standalone just like the Tascam models, if fact it looks just like it, but I would like to know if it will record all 8 tracks at the same time from different inputs while it's hooked up to the computer as in the Demo?

The Zoom demo shows the control interface, which is very cool, but failed to demonstrate multi-track recording using the DAW. I know it will do 8 tracks at a time as a standalone just like the Tascam models, if fact it looks just like it, but I would like to know if it will record all 8 tracks at the same time from different inputs while it's hooked up to the computer as in the Demo?

Did you look at the video? It shows 8 inputs, which implies 8 channels (1-8) of recording.

It's what is stated twice on their website that seems contrary > "8-in/2-out USB audio interface for Macintosh/Windows computers". I wonder if the 2-out is when the Mackie Control software isn't used and the Mackie Control allows an 8-out configuration.

Pretty sure the 2-out means DAW back to the interface for monitoring.

To the OP, the Zoom would be my suggestion also. First thing I thought of when reading your post.

Someone here had one of those a few years ago and it did indeed track 8 channels to the DAW. I don't have one to verify.

This is from Sweetwater's site.
Sweetwater Description of Zoom R24 said:
But the R24 also doubles as a USB audio interface - how cool is that? Just load up your favorite DAW and you can record eight tracks at time, using the R24's onboard inputs.

I am surprised they don't emphasize the 8 track capability more clearly because that is a very important feature for someone looking for a real 8 track to DAW interface. If I can verify that for sure I might just take the plunge and upgrade to that.

Very Disappointing

Just heard back from Zoom Labs, the R series recorders will only record two simultaneous tracks. Looks like I'll stick with the TASCAM.

I sent the Review to Zoom. Could it be they don't know their own equipment? I'll let you know what they say.

OK here is the low down from ZOOM. The R8 can only do 2, the R16 and R24 can do 8. So I would really like an R16 to play with and see what I can do with it.

Thanks guys

If you haven't purchased the Zoom already, I use my Tascam 1800 (any interface would work) with a Gator rack, couple of pre-amps, power strip and a laptop. Setup templates (in Reaper) for quick tracking and that seems to work just fine. Not trying to talk you out of the Zoom, but there are alternatives.

I keep everything in the Gator bag except the microphones (12-16 depending on what I am recording) which are in another bag. I plug in one place, everything is powered through the strip to include my laptop so I don't have to hunt for multiple power sources, and other than mic setup, I am ready to record in minutes. For light recording I use a USB Audiobox and laptop battery power and get about 2-3 hours of recording (YMMV). Pretty flexible.

About $600 for laptop, Tascam and Gator case (4 rack) and power strip. FYI. The laptop is low end and for tracking only, mics will cost you that much or more and then pre-amps if required. Just options if you need them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.

I too, had the US1800 and used it in conjunction with a laptop for mobile recording of school bands. I traded it for an earlier model with fewer channels, but its basically the same setup. Works well.

Yeah, this particular family of products by Zoom look very interesting, though it seems it's more about being a stand-alone unit, having the ability to send what it has recorded to the DAW environment later. Maybe some future product by them will have multi channel capability to the DAW.

In the mean time I guess one could always buy one of those older products like the OP named, those Roland V-Studio units. I bought a Tascam FW 1082, which is a controller/interface...although has no ability to record within itself like the Zooms, Rolands etc.

Back