Any Mac people???

Shaolin

Greetings

I am planning to buy a older powerbook, for cases where I need to bring my computer to record in the studio. The problem is that it only has one serial port, to be used as modem or printer, unlike a desktop model that has two.
My question is, is there anyway to get "the play" signal from the 8 track other than the modem/printer port being used as a dedicated port. I'm using Digital preformer.

Thx

???

What do Mac people have to do with this? I thought Mac Donalds sold burgers!!! :D

Mac Douglas makes planes!

Mac Tarnahans makes beer!!!

Okay, all serious now. Describe just what you are trying to do here. Your question makes little sense.

Ed

Re: ???

sonusman said:

Okay, all serious now. Describe just what you are trying to do here. Your question makes little sense.

Ed
Sorry that was not clear. details:

I took my desktop Macintosh into the studio ( 8 track analog recording onto a Dat ). I wanted to run Digital preformer on the "Macintosh" . I took in my Mac becuase the studio one did not have enough Ram. Their recording system hookup to the Mac uses, both Mac serial ports ( the printer and the modem ) One serial port sends signals to the midi and recvs. The other port gets it's signal from the DAT system telling the computer to run now. It would not work on mine! we could not figure out why, works fine on theirs...
I am planning on buying a Macintosh Powerbook ( laptop) to replace my desktop. The Powerbook only comes with one serial port. So my question is : if there is a way to

a. send and recv both sets of signals over one port.
or
b. a way to send the "play now" signal to the computer other than the serial port

or
Basicly how do others who use Macs do their hookups from computer to recording deck.
I do not want to buy a laptop and find that one serial port will wreak me for traveling to the studio, unless I go USB.

I hope that is clearer

thanx

Back